Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: US Newtype

1. Grabbed it at Suncoast today. I got lucky, as the lady happened to find it still in the shipping box right before I left the store!

Impressions coming soon
    - Kabuki

2. No one's got it around here... and ADV/Newtype USA are *based* in Houston.. arg, rediculous. :P

3. Got it today...You get your money's worth, that's for sure. The size, paper stock, and the extras make up for the $10 price tag. Here's what came with it:

Very nice RahXephon post cards, Faye Valentine "centerfold" (sorry, no nudity), a Bandai "Anime Catalog" dvd with trailers for most of the anime they distribute (and I think an episode of Arjun, the Macross creator's new series (I think that's right)), a Full Metal Panic manga insert/comic (that's $2.95 normally right there), Sakura Wars poster, english translation of "For The Barrel" (serial novel "reimagining" of Mobile Suit Gundam), and what looks to be a great magazine to boot.

If I had $90 to spare, I would subscribe in a heartbeat, just for the extras. I'll post my opinions on the magazine material after I've had a chance to enjoy it.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

4. Originally posted by kabuki
    Grabbed it at Suncoast today. I got lucky, as the lady happened to find it still in the shipping box right before I left the store!

Impressions coming soon
    - Kabuki
    We have a Suncoast in our area?

5. *looks to left* Love Hina 5 *looks to right* Newtype

Decision made, and it involves boobies and love.

~Mr. K~

I'll ask my friend if he can hook me up for a free copy... he does write for it after all

6. if your friend writes for it, tell him and the rest of them to send my fucking subscription out already. i payed $90 for a years worth of magazines, not a years worth of waiting.

7. And tell them that if they are going with the Right-to-Left binding, they should go with the right to left reading. I had a brainfuck last night after a migraine yesterday afternoon trying to figure out why the magazine didn't make sense. Now I know. Imagine, everything looks like the Japanese Newtype, bind, styling, etc. You open the back of the book (being American, I'll call it the back). You expect, like many manga comics, that the first page will be the 1st page inside the cover on the right. Nope. It's the page opposite on the left! That's the only thing about the magazine I don't like so far.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

8. I got my copy from Fry's. $9.

The only problem with it so far is I'm having some trouble figuring out which way some things should be read. They really should have included a page or two about how it's put together.......

9. For a complete rundown of issue one and Newtype USA in general, you can read my little article on it here:
    http://www.tokidokijournal.com/issues/issue16/new.htm

Originally posted by Lordmrw
    We have a Suncoast in our area?
    Yep, bottom floor of the Emerald Square Mall.

- Kabuki