Thread: Acclaim Responds to XXXcessive Criticism

Acclaim Responds to XXXcessive Criticism

Greg Fischback, Co-Chairman and CEO of Acclaim has personally responded to the criticism the media at large has aimed at his company's upcoming BMXXX title. It is typically not TNL's style to post direct quotes, but in this case it is important that Fischback's thoughts are left intact:

We believe that there is a general, unfair characterization of the interactive entertainment industry and as a result, our product is being held to an entirely different standard than other entertainment media with comparable content, including movies, television and radio. According to NPD's August report, more than 60 percent of all next-generation hardware owners are men over the age of 18, and this combined with the fact that last year's number one selling game was mature rated, fully supports our belief in the demand for this type of content.

While we acknowledge that we are setting new benchmarks with BMX XXX(TM), we are disappointed that there are groups who fail to see how this humorous product is truly on par with such widely accepted mainstream entertainment experiences, including movies like American Pie, and TV shows like The Sopranos and Sex and the City," added Fischbach. "As a leading publisher, we fully believe that consumers should have a right to choose their entertainment, and with that right comes the importance of responsible consumerism.

This product was not designed for, nor is it being marketed to consumers under the age of 17, and we fully support the Electronic Software Rating Board and encourage consumers to utilize their rating systems to make educated purchases.
    While none of this should be a revelation to TNL readers, it is good to have a corporate suit convey what many of us have been saying for years.

2. First off:

Acclaim Responds to XXXcessive Criticism
    *Groan* (insert rolling eye smiley)

I can't for this game to finally come out, so I can see if all this fuss was actually warranted.

3. Originally posted by Regus
    I can't for this game to finally come out, so I can see if all this fuss was actually warranted.
    And that is why Acclaim loves all the negative press they are getting now.

Its working.

"There's no such thing as bad press."

5. *groan* right back atcha.

While the chronological age of the target audience may be over 18 (and I doubt that), the mentality demographic is right around 15.

Bleh.

6. No offence to anyone (whoever you may be), but if you are only gonna buy/play a game SOLELY because it has naked boobies in it- you are immature.

7. What Nick said places it best - yeah, there's crude humor and subject material that would be suitable for the 18+ crowd, but my guess is such would hit it big with the 'under 18' demograph. Heck, everyone wants to be 'mature' these days and ironically, base fanservice and gutter humor is considered mature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Well, Acclaim usually caters to the lowest common demononator, and this game is no different.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan