Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Ring" Spoiler Discussion American version

"The Ring" Spoiler Discussion American version

Holy Shit! This Movie was fucking amazing. I had no idea it would be this good. To be honest this Movie scared me, hell
    even the video of Anna combing her hair was freaky. The thing that got me was Anna putting the bag over her daughters head, and shoving her into the well. Huh this is PG-13? Who came out of the well and thru the TV? Was it Anna or the daughter? And the Ring was the Well? wasn't it? The Dad also slaughtred the horses too. The friend who went insane also saw the Ring but didn't die? Oh and Naomi Watts is beautiful. I'd go and say this Movie is better than M Night's flicks.

Not to take anything away from Deus13 great thread but I thought this deserved a Spoiler thread as there were so many things to discuss.

Heh the false endings kinda fooled me.

Um who the hell recorded the tape?

Did the cabin owner know about the covered well?

Truly disturbing and unsettling.

BTW I haven't seen the Japanese version yet.

I'm gonna see this again!

2. What false endings were you talking about? I don't think the cabin guy knew about the well, much less the fact that Samara was in it. I dont think it was actually recorded by anybody, remember in the psych ward, Samara said that she thinks it, and it appears.

I've got a few questions, and I discussed a lot with my friend on the way home from the theatre... the main one that sticks out in our mind...
    Why was it wrong for Rachel to help Samara out?

3. Re: "The Ring" Spoiler Discussion American version

Originally posted by Korian
    Holy Shit! This Movie was fucking amazing. I had no idea it would be this good. To be honest this Movie scared me, hell
    even the video of Anna combing her hair was freaky. The thing that got me was Anna putting the bag over her daughters head, and shoving her into the well. Huh this is PG-13? Who came out of the well and thru the TV? Was it Anna or the daughter? And the Ring was the Well? wasn't it? The Dad also slaughtred the horses too. The friend who went insane also saw the Ring but didn't die? Oh and Naomi Watts is beautiful. I'd go and say this Movie is better than M Night's flicks.

Not to take anything away from Deus13 great thread but I thought this deserved a Spoiler thread as there were so many things to discuss.

Heh the false endings kinda fooled me.

Um who the hell recorded the tape?

Did the cabin owner know about the covered well?

Truly disturbing and unsettling.

BTW I haven't seen the Japanese version yet.

I'm gonna see this again!
    Samara came through the TV.

The titular ring was the light that she saw as the top of the well closed.

I think the horses went insane from the visions that Samara put in their heads. The same thing happened to the horse on the boat when Rachel touched it.

The friend that went insane went insane from seeing what happened to Katie, not from seeing the video (I think).

Naomi Watts IS beautiful.

Better than Nights flicks? Debateable.

This is basically a shot for shot reconstruction of the Japanese original, with very few differences. I'm quite impressed by that, the only problem was that I knew what was gonna happen the whole time. The ending of the Japanese one has a freakier effect IMO though.

Chux, I'm not sure why it was bad for them to let her out of the well, but in Japan there are a few sequels, plus a Manga, plus a few television series, plus a few novels, and there's that horrendous Dreamcast game, so perhaps that's a setup.

Wanna know more about the franchise? Go here:

http://www.thehorrorofringu.com/index2.html

Originally posted by Chux
    What false endings were you talking about?
    The one where they go home after they dont die, and everyone is happy. Until Aidan gets all scared when she mentions that they helped Samara.

Originally posted by Chux I dont think it was actually recorded by anybody, remember in the psych ward, Samara said that she thinks it, and it appears.
    I think you are correct sir.

OK so Samara came out of the well? I guess I didn't get that part cuz she came out an adult but died as a child.

Another thing does everyone have to get the 7 day phone message as it was avoided or not heard by the son directly?

Yeah the part about why not helping Samara was good was confusing. Samara was a angry child right? about wanting to hurt people? I wasn't sure if she was meant to be a good or evil child.

So many questions....

5. I've got a few more questions...
    Even if Rachel didn't go into the well, she was the only one that had somebody WILLINGLY watch the tape, Noah. Near the end, Rachel said that Samara wanted to be heard, by letting Noah see the tape I wonder if it saved her, but damned him.

What's the deal with the copy? She made a copy, and she was safe also, and if you remember, she was guiding Aidan's hand in order for him to be able to make a copy, what's up with that?

6. Originally posted by Korian
    OK so Samara came out of the well? I guess I didn't get that part cuz she came out an adult but died as a child.
    She was definately still a child when she came out of the well, she just looked a lot more ghastly (I just saw the movie again last night, so I can confirm that).

Originally posted by Korian Another thing does everyone have to get the 7 day phone message as it was avoided or not heard by the son directly?
    It doesn't matter if you hear it. It gets sent out one way or the other. Remember, Noah didn't hear it either, the answering machine picked it up, and Rachel erased the message before anyone heard it.

Originally posted by Korian Yeah the part about why not helping Samara was good was confusing. Samara was a angry child right? about wanting to hurt people? I wasn't sure if she was meant to be a good or evil child.
    When you originally see the SM0012 (or whatever) tape, she is painted in a smypathetic light, as it looks as if her "evil" dad was bringing this all on her. However, when you see the tape the second time, with the closeup, the tape takes on a much more sinister light.

Is she good or evil? My take is most evil, but due to my lack of supporting evidence, I'll take a neutral stance.

Originally posted by Chux
    I've got a few more questions...
    Even if Rachel didn't go into the well, she was the only one that had somebody WILLINGLY watch the tape, Noah. Near the end, Rachel said that Samara wanted to be heard, by letting Noah see the tape I wonder if it saved her, but damned him.
    Rachel was saved the minute that she made a copy, and showed it to someone else, willingly or not. Going into the well had nothing to do with her salvation.

Originally posted by Chux What's the deal with the copy? She made a copy, and she was safe also, and if you remember, she was guiding Aidan's hand in order for him to be able to make a copy, what's up with that?
    Now Aidan has to show his copy to someone else, so he can "spread his tragedy like a disease". Then he will be saved.

7. I did not care for this it all. It left to many unanswered questions. My friends were raving about this movie and I must say I was dissapointed.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

8. Great. But there is another thread for that.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...&threadid=8227

9. hehe, sorry
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

10. I loved the movie (saw it twice this weekend)

The only thing that really disappointed me was the last shot of Samaras eye after she came out of the TV. Looked a little to man-ish, kinda corny. The japanese one looked more freaky, to me at least.

And yeah, I did kinda ruin it for myself by seeing the original first. Though it did help keep the story from getting to confusing.(I heard a lot of people saying they were confused by it)
    "I see the world didn't end yesterday."

"Are you sure?"