Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design Art: Dragoon

1. You're talented.

How the heck do you colour it so professionally. Any tips? Also, that model must've taken you a week or 2 to complete. It's very detailed and incredibly well done. Good job!

11/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Originally posted by Andrew
    You're talented.

How the heck do you colour it so professionally. Any tips? Also, that model must've taken you a week or 2 to complete. It's very detailed and incredibly well done. Good job!

11/10.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, in that case, I just used the a burn and dodge airbrush to get the shading down, and then used the Curves option to give it the metallic effect (it's not a filter, so you have to play with it....Curves is really powerful and useful once you get the hang of it). Some light texturing was faked by adding random noise to another layer above the metal areas, and then setting that layer to dissolve or something (maybe 'multiply'). Lighting was hastily faked with photoshop. Luminence was also faked with some more Screen airbrushing to blend in the background with the character (for example, the fuzzy light on the shoulder pads that bleeds over the contours).

Oh, final tip that I find makes a big difference: After using the airbrush to shape everything's "shape", use a selection tool (the pen if your a perfectionist, or just the lasso if you're in a hurry like me usually), and Dodge out your "hard" shadows (shadows cast by a direct light source)...you'll notice most of the plates have a hard shadow underneath. This adds alot of dimension to otherwise flat artwork, I think, but it can be tedious.