Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component Video Switcher

1. Component Video Switcher

Could someone either provide the name of that component video switcher (I think it's a Panasonic) that sells for $100, or link me to a site where I can buy it? I know it got posted more than once on the old boards. I'm getting really sick of having to switch five plugs every time I want to play a different console.

2. Well, its made by JVC its number is JVC JX-111 AV Selector, and it usually goes for about $100. Try looking on Ebay, I got mine there, and much cheaper then in regular online places, most of which were out of it. I looked on Ebay now, but there are not one of them for sale at this time.

Maybe Skelator has some links to other places that sell it, ask him.

3. Thanks. I found it for $80, and they have it in stock.

4. Good deal ENjoy it.

I got mine for about the same, and its been working perfect for the last 3 months

5. etronics.com has it for $75+ shipping. I really wish someone else would make one -- you'd think that they would be popular, with all of the new tvs coming with usually 1 set of component inputs....

6. Sheesh! I've seen this question before so I'll be glad to answer your prayers here with this little peice of advice...

GET A FRIGGING RCA SWITCH BOX!!!

No I ain't kidding, you can get these for maybe less then $20 over at radioshack and I've tested the video quality on my 27in. There -ain't- no loss in detail! The cables you're using are basically RCA hookup and they use the same passthrough as any audio/video cable you use for most tv sets and audio systems. Don't belive me? fine! your loss... but remember for what it's worth, you'll be saving a bundle!
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

7. Component Switchers Are Bs!!!

Look at it this way, if you are really thinking of getting a component multi-tap, as yourself this...

If I get a switcher for my component hookup, then why should it cost more then a regular RCA switch box?

a switch-box is just a multi pass-through for your video and audio signals so you can "switch" between which saurce you are getting your reception from. Component cables have the very same RCA style hookups and use a very similar signal, so if you figure a way to use a regular switch-box for component instead of the expensive one, you may be asking as to why they are charging up the price for a reg RCA switcher when the "gimmick" is just the same. (marketing pretty much answers that!)

and this becuase another post was listed, thanks for asking!
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

8. But will RCA set up support Component inputs?

9. Originally posted by unit003
    Sheesh! I've seen this question before so I'll be glad to answer your prayers here with this little peice of advice...

GET A FRIGGING RCA SWITCH BOX!!!

No I ain't kidding, you can get these for maybe less then $20 over at radioshack and I've tested the video quality on my 27in. There -ain't- no loss in detail! The cables you're using are basically RCA hookup and they use the same passthrough as any audio/video cable you use for most tv sets and audio systems. Don't belive me? fine! your loss... but remember for what it's worth, you'll be saving a bundle!
    What equipment did you test use to come to this conclusion? I've never seen a component setup so bad that RCA was considered its equal...

10. Let's get some terms straight before we go any further.

A RCA plug is simply the plug style that you see on composite, component and audio wires. The other type of plug for these cables is BNC, but those aren't used. They're the plug-and-twist-lock type.

Component video, of course, is the type of video connection that separates out red, green and blue for higher resolution images. Most new good TVs come with it.

Composite video is what some people on this thread (including unit) have been confusing as RCA video. The two terms are not interchangable. It's called composite video because all three color signals (the red-green-blue from component) are squished together into one cable.

S-video is sort of a midway between composite and component. It's in one cable, but it separates out the signals for higher resolution. This is why it looks better than composite, but component still delivers a better image.

Now, the main reasons why we haven't seen cheaper component switch boxes are 1) the public hasn't caught on to component video yet, and most of them don't have enough devices that support it and 2) they're more expensive to make than composite/s-video switch boxes. A component box would require more engineering than a s-video box because there's an additional three wires to support with each connection, and those wires have to hold the proper amount of impedence to get the component signals to sync right. According to my dad, who does some occasional electronics work, the switch that could do this is not something that's routinely available. Most switches go up to 4 contacts -- 4 wires, which would make for a decent s-video/composite switch. Go above that, and you'll probably have to get the switch custom-made.

As to unit's assertion that composite boxes can be used for component: yes, this is possible, however it's also ugly. I'd need two boxes for all of my stuff -- one for video and one for audio. I don't like the idea of needing to switch two boxes whenever I want to play my games or watch my movies. That's silly. Now, if I can find a nice switch that's well designed and affordable, I'll use it. But, if you *really* don't care how many switches you have to switch just to play your games, here's how you do it:

Get 2 nice composite/s-video switch boxes. When I say nice, I mean something from Sony or maybe Preformance. The one Gamestop sells is the Preformance box repackaged. Avoid Radio Shack, they suck. Their stuff tends to fall apart without notice. One box will be used for the video, one box for your audio. Note: if you use optical/coax audio, you only need 1 box, since you're not using the RCA-connector audio cables.

Get some GOOD component cables. Thicker cables are better. Thin cables won't hold the signal well enough to do the job.

I attempted this the other night using my switch box, a Sony PS2 component cable, some crappy composite/audio cables and my old composite switch box. The image kept synching/unsynching. It wasn't getting enough of the signal to keep a proper image. Ergo, you need a good switch box and good cables. ^_^

If you're adventurous, know some basic electronics and want to build your own box, go for it. Let me know how it turns out.