Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Component Video Switcher

1. Worth every penny.

2. the reason it would cost more is because 1 it needs a large switcher (2 additional wires)
    2 componet wires for some things need to beable to support a high signal rate for HDTV and progressive scan video
    3 with out high quality componets youll end up losing the quality of the image that you spent so much to get on the componet wires and parts
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. ok Lhadatt, this is what I have for a setup

rca switch box
    optical cable switcher
    monster cables for xbox (component and optical) plus an extra set for tv hookup

Now I ran this test between my xbox, ps2, and DVD player to see if the quality degrades any and I haven't found any lost to the picture whatsoever. Now you've mentioned you have a problem with your picture synching/unsynching so I'm questioning what box brand you have or if the one your using isn't working right. Plus there's different ways you could be hooking it up wrong if you're not mixing the color/cables right. If this was just strictly red/blue/green, it would have been a pure RGB signal but it ain't since one is used for color illumination (black/white) while the other colors are mixed among each other (thus a compressed signal). If you really want to get answers, go to videowrestling.com and ask Kev on the reader feedback forum or check out "this column goes to eleven" where he's talking about NTSC signals.
    I may be just lucky with my switcher, but it's a pass-through for the signal. While you may not agree, at least test it out first to see how it works for you, then decide from there.

oh yeah, as for the signal problem, the ps2 still has some issues with jaggies or making the picture synch correctly. This may be normal for some games so don't sweat it too badly.
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

4. Originally posted by unit003
    ok Lhadatt, this is what I have for a setup

rca switch box
    optical cable switcher
    monster cables for xbox (component and optical) plus an extra set for tv hookup

Now I ran this test between my xbox, ps2, and DVD player to see if the quality degrades any and I haven't found any lost to the picture whatsoever. Now you've mentioned you have a problem with your picture synching/unsynching so I'm questioning what box brand you have or if the one your using isn't working right. Plus there's different ways you could be hooking it up wrong if you're not mixing the color/cables right.
    I'm not dumb enough to mix up cables :P The box is crap, it's old and was something I picked up for $15 at an EB.

If this was just strictly red/blue/green, it would have been a pure RGB signal but it ain't since one is used for color illumination (black/white) while the other colors are mixed among each other (thus a compressed signal).
    Oh, I see. I thought they were all separated. ^_^

I may be just lucky with my switcher, but it's a pass-through for the signal. While you may not agree, at least test it out first to see how it works for you, then decide from there.
    I'm not debating your success. My main point (which I realize now may not have been stated well) is that I don't like having multiple crappy composite boxes when I could have one box that's engineered really well. Now, I think that JVC thing only has two component inputs. What's the use then? All three consoles have component output -- not to mention stand-alone DVD players. I'll wait for someone to make a box with more inputs and half the price, thank you.

oh yeah, as for the signal problem, the ps2 still has some issues with jaggies or making the picture synch correctly. This may be normal for some games so don't sweat it too badly.
    That doesn't bother me much. It works well enough when I'm not trying to experiment. ^_^

5. Originally posted by Lhadatt

Now, I think that JVC thing only has two component inputs. What's the use then? All three consoles have component output -- not to mention stand-alone DVD players. I'll wait for someone to make a box with more inputs and half the price, thank you.
    Nope. It has 3 component inputs and 2 S-Video inputs. Check it out:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...70&I=257JXS111

My TV has 2 component inputs. I bought a receiver that also had 2 component ins. Then I bought the JVC component switcher above which gives me 5 inputs altogether. One for my X-Box, GC, PS2, & DVD player with one to spare. I also have an optical switcher.

6. JVC Switch has 3 Component inputs. I run my PS2, Xbox and Cube through them, and picture quality is great.

7. Oh, I see. Cool!

That will work fine. I have a DVD player and PS2 now, and plan on getting a Cube. That works out well.

No, I'm not getting a Xbox. ^_^

8. What the heck!? Did I do a seperate post or something??
    I knew I replied to this post, but why in god's name did I do that? (looks around for a clue...)

9. uhhmmmm.. well you *did* make a new thread about this a couple days ago, but I thought you knew what you were doing

10. That's what I thought too, but I did have one heck of a hard time getting things in order during this week. Guess I got to mixed up to keep track of anything
    Anyhow, did you have any luck with your switcher? I'm not sure if you are interested in dolby digital, but you should check to see if it includes hookup for optical cables, that's just something I can't do without thanks to my setup.