Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting pictures in a thread eats bandwidth = yes or no?

1. Posting pictures in a thread eats bandwidth = yes or no?

Yes, I know I'll no doubt get bitched at for simply asking this questions, but I want a serious answer to it. I've always been told no, because the images aren't hosted on your server so they aren't hitting you for the bandwidth. But Bahn keeps saying not to post images because of the bandwidth, so many he knows something that I don't.

So how about one of your smart kids answer this once and for all. If it DOES hit the bandwidth of the server hosting the forum, I'd like to know for me own uses.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. I think if he's hosting the images, such as our avatars, that will eat bandwidth. But my sigs are on boomspeed.com, so I think that munches on Boomspeed's bandwidth, but I could be wrong.

3. Linking images from another server puts no load on the messageboard server, except for the link text itself( a href=blah blah etc.), that is only a few bytes though(each ASCII character is one byte). Now maybe he doesnt want images posted because it takes a long time to load for 56k users? I don't know though...
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

4. Bahn and Nick always ask not to post too many images
    and if you do put a warning in consideration of 56k
    users.

5. Ok...
    heres the deal

Pictures that are linked from a website other that our own is going to take up a little bandwidth. Even though the pics dont reside on our end, it still has to load up on our website.

It wont take up as much bandwidth as the site hosting the actual picture however. Those guys are getting killed....

But every time you load up a pic on this site...a little bandwidth is taken up.

This rule was mainly put into effect so that other users who are not fortunate enough to have a broadband connection can view the forum too with no big problems.

My recommendation..either lower the sizes of the pics by a lot or just have a text link to the image and have ppl click on it.

--------------------

Some of you may not know this but TNL is capping our usage of bandwidth on this server...We want to conserve it as much as we can. It will involve inspecting every part of this site including images posted on the forums.

So all those "Show your desktop" threads will be looked at VERY carefully from now on...

(Believe it or not, 56k users are taking up bandwidth loading this site AND the linked pics...causes stress on both ours and their servers)

Read about our Bandwidth Capping here

-------

The message we are basically trying to get across is to simply be considerate of other users...and limit the size of some of your pics if it needs to be posted

Thanx

6. Leave "post your desktop" and "post pics of your collection" threads alone. They don't eat TNL bandwidth, and 56k users should know that there will be large images in there, since that's what it's all about

7. Andyrose: Ya...glad to see you understand where we're coming from. Thing is...practically half or no one that posts images EVER bother to think about compressing (if at all). It seems that we'll get lots of flack for this...because Nercm stated that it has "some" effect...and right now, with this bandwidth throttling in place, that effect is enough to cause additional measures to be put in place.

To cynics: Read that link he posted before you go off with flaming and such. We're not saying this alone was totally responsible either...we actually know that our WWF movies posted was also a factor as well. The point is...we're doing everything possible so as not to jeapordize our hosting privileges. So give us a break, if we're actually looking to save our own necks on account of a few that don't like what we're doing.

Due to concerns reported by our host administrator, we are taking every cautious step to keep our bandwidth within reasonable parameters; (our host conveyed that over the past few weeks, our bandwidth alone practically overwhelmed their server). I am sure some, if not all the members here have at one time or another encountered periodic 503 error messages as of recent; (these aren't the same board problems as before, in case anyone's wondering) - which say that the server is down for capacity reasons/downtime.

There's been concern ever since the recent IMG extravaganza threads have been posted, and there's no doubt many want to know what will be accepted from this point on. It is vital that everyone is conscientious of what they're posting, especially when it comes to the threads Nercm mentioned above (yes, even when it comes to the lovely Miwa). We have not put a ban on posting images, but a tighter system of what can be posted has been set, as explained below:

Users (Galleria members included) may only post 2 images per thread (500x500 respectively). Please note, this does not mean, that new threads of that same topic can be started either just to post more images

Thus, if you want to contribute additional pics in that same thread...use text links (i.e. URL tags).

Sig images are still allowed of course, but should not exceed 500x250. If you display an image larger than that...you may be contacted by a moderator or administrator to resize your image. If you have been contacted and do no respond in 24hrs, your image will be removed from your account.

8. Yeah, whenever I upload something to a site to be linked off of, I usually use compression on my jpegs, and I'll resize the image. It's just common courtesy ya know....

9. yes, just post a warning if there are going to be lots of pics in the topic...if not just use links
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

10. Originally posted by Nercm
    [B]Ok...
    heres the deal

Pictures that are linked from a website other that our own is going to take up a little bandwidth. Even though the pics dont reside on our end, it still has to load up on our website.
    Are you SURE of this?

Still just doesn't make sense to me. When my browser is processing the mesage that I'm reading, it hits the image tag, and sees that it need to snag X image from Y website. Why would any bit of that image have to be filtered through the server hosting the forum that I'm reading?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.