Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper PlayStation2's in the future?

1. Cheaper PlayStation2's in the future?

PlayStation2 Emotion Engine and Graphic Synthesizer all on one chip

Sony Computer Entertainment president, Ken Kutaragi, has revealed in an interview with the Japanese publication, Nikkei Microdevice, that the PlayStation2 Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer can be included on a single chip using a 0.13-micron process.

"We are able to shrink the process about three times a year," Kutaragi said at a manufacturing plant in Nagasaki.

It's not yet known when the new chips will be implemented into the PlayStation2 or how the implementation will affect the price of the hardware.

Source: GameSpot

2. Me want cheap Japanese PS2 so I can play "I am the Chef" and PhotoBoy.

- Kabuki

3. Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a Japanese PSX (or a modded American PSX, or an older model PSX you can disc swap or use a Gameshark in) than a Japanese PS2 for Ore no Ryouri?

4. I, for one, can't wait till the PS2 goes "top loader". I HATE drive doors on consoles. That'll surely drop the price as well

5. Originally posted by Mr_Furious
    I, for one, can't wait till the PS2 goes "top loader". I HATE drive doors on consoles. That'll surely drop the price as well
    *tries to imagine inserting a PS2 disc from the top...*

nah, it wont look right

6. I'd love a top loading PS2 myself... no more GameDay 2002 incidents where the tray caused a giant dent in the disc.

7. Originally posted by cka
    I'd love a top loading PS2 myself... no more GameDay 2002 incidents where the tray caused a giant dent in the disc.

how in the hell did that happen?

I've heard various reports that because of the PS2 architecture, the system has caused scratching on discs...anyone care to confirm that (perhaps a personal experience?)

8. Originally posted by bandit

*tries to imagine inserting a PS2 disc from the top...*

nah, it wont look right
    *tries to imagine a redesigned PS2 that compliments top loading...*

yup, I think it would look just fine (if not better)

you lack vision, son

9. Originally posted by bahn

how in the hell did that happen?

I've heard various reports that because of the PS2 architecture, the system has caused scratching on discs...anyone care to confirm that (perhaps a personal experience?)
    It's true. I've personally seen this happen at work. Circular scratches can be seen on some discs after playing in certain PS2s. It's a problem with the drive spinning up before the disc can get clear of the tray fully. This seems far more common with units mounted vertically (which I would never recommend, regardless if Sony says it's safe to do).

10. A vertical PS2 is an invitation for big, deep, function impairing circular scratches. Putting them in cars isn't a good idea either.

ºTracer
    o_O