Thread: Satellite broadband questions

1. Satellite broadband questions

First off, does anyone have it? I'm told it's about the same as cable for downloads/uploads (2-way satellite, not 1 way + dial-up). It's basically the only option for high speed connections around here. I know the basics (high cost, etc.), but I'd like to know how it performs. How does it compare to DSL/cable/56k for gaming, downloading, general browsing, etc. Thanks a lot.

2. If you are gaming forget about it. Apperantly there is a naturally lag built into it. You dont notice it for downloading, but gaming is noticable.
    your mom

3. my question is when you have a mini-dish outside city limits, how do you get anything that's better then dial-up?
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

4. Hrm, yeah I've heard satellite isn't good for gaming, but why exactly? I mean in technical terms. Can someone explain?

5. There's a one second lag in every action. It's terrible for surfing; the best use for it is downloading very large files.

While surfing, you get a one second lag per item requested.
    bastard of the new world order.

6. Ugh.. that sounds awful. Certainly not worth the insane cost anyway. I guess I'll just have to do without high speed internet

7. Originally posted by Zenigata
    Hrm, yeah I've heard satellite isn't good for gaming, but why exactly? I mean in technical terms. Can someone explain?
    Packet loss.

8. stay the hell away from it, its not worth it.
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"