Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pay homage to the greatest martial arts flick. ever!!!

1. Bloodsport? Crouching Tiger? Come on!

Haven't you guys ever watched Asian martial arts movies? Haven't you ever heard of Chinese Connection, Drunken Master and Drunken Master II, Invincible Armor, or The Five Deadly Venoms? Oh, and the best American martial arts film may have been Bloodsport, but where is the appreciation for the first Ninja Turtles movie?

2. Drunken Master.

Best training sequence.

Best "wacky" sensei.

Best fight scenes.

Best use of alcohol as a prop.

Best kung fu movie ever.

3. Well, I like Drunken Master 2 more. Final fight in it just excellent.

Fist of Legend is also one of the best martial art films. Jet Li is excellent in it.

4. Originally posted by Despair
    Well, I like Drunken Master 2 more. Final fight in it just excellent.

Fist of Legend is also one of the best martial art films. Jet Li is excellent in it.
    ugh!

Drunken Master II is NOTHING compared to the orginal. All crappily edited with worse fight scenes, and not enough Jackie Chan!

*gets drunk, falls into a pot of water*

5. Best martial arts flick, and you give it to a Van Damme film. Shame, bro, shame.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm givin the title to Shaolin Soccer. Damn that movie ruled.

6. I totally agree with Nick. Invincible (Iron) Armor was great for comedic value. Nothing is funny in quite the same way as watching an old man being killed while the camera switched to someone crushing eggs in their hand. Crouching Tiger was a'ight (the hype raised my expectations way too high), and you gotta show some love for Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. Although, Bloodsport is a guilty pleasure...sorta like all the crappy cartoons that you might have watched as a kid. Sure, voltron is a framey mess today, but there's just something inherently cool in forming the blazing sword. Bloodsport is cheesy as all get out, but there's just something that makes put that all aside and enjoy the flick more than I rationally should .

7. Originally posted by Despair
    Well, Until I see Seagal in John Woo film, Hard Target is Vandamm best Even working Vandam who behaved like an ass during shoot, bitching studio who wanted to cut the film the way they wanted(and eventually did), Woo still put some of the most memorable action scenes in US film. And Vandamm looked cool as well.

In Bloodsport he did look kinda dorky.
    Woo had to cut & edit the film 7 times and they still wanted to give it a NC-17 rating. I would love to seen an unedited version of that movie.

8. Well, Look around. Its available on VHS in many places. Its much better than theatrical cut. Alot of violence was cut, adn action scenes look much better and longer. John Woo really did a great job on action scenes, which are much better than ones n Face Off, or Broken Arrow.

Check out, Videojunkie.com, they have vhs of sale.

Bloodsport is nothing compared to the emporer of all Van Damme movies, Street Fighter. No other Van Damme movie combined thrill-a-minute action sequnces with such memorable characters, awesome costumes and special effects, and witty dialogue such as "Quick! Change the channel!" or "I beheld Satan, as he fell from heaven, LIKE LIIIIGHTNIIIIINNG!!!" Truly, Street Fighter is not a movie, it is an experience.

In all seriousness though, Enter the Dragon is the best martial arts movie ever made.

10. I'm still holding out for the uncut DVD version of Gymkata.

Just kidding.

Where are the Jackie Chan fans? Anyone who has seen his early works and lesser knowns should know how versatile and strong he is.....'Snake in Eagle's Shadow' and 'Shaolin Wooden Men' are amazing. I'd even say 'Eagle's Shadow' is slightly better than the original Drunken Master. All Jackie fans must see it.

And the scene with the training dummies in 'Shaolin Wooden Men' is unforgettable.

Also look for 'The Young Master' and 'Wheels on Meals'.

P.S. Serious fans need to look for a Jackie flick called 'City Hunter'. The ending fight scene features a campy fight where Jackie Chan turns into Chin Li, and Gary Daniels into Ken! No bullshit. You must see it to believe it.

~Quinn
    Can't live without the classics...
    Original and Remixed Game Music