Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pay homage to the greatest martial arts flick. ever!!!

1. i should have titled the thread differently... something like greatest AMERICAN martial arts movie.

but anyhow... Bloodsport is classic!!!

Now that I think about it, I'm givin the title to Shaolin Soccer. Damn that movie ruled.
    Shaolin Soccer wasn't a martial arts movie. it didn't even have any real fighting to it (beating someone with a hammer is not a martial art, and neither is the final shoe attack), it was all senseless, but funny, violence. it's the greatest COMEDY ever!!

greatest of all time though has got to be Enter the Dragon. Last Dragon is up there too. "when ah say... whooooo's the masta... you say... SHO' NUFF!!"

lets not get off the original subject of Bloodsport though, i mean, what other movie shows off the skill of the "great" Afghani fighters ?

2. CIty Hunter is pretty good film(IMO), and that Street Fighter 2 fight with Jackie as Chun Li was great. End fight where Jackie fights Edward Norton is very good as well.

3. Originally posted by Despair
    CIty Hunter is pretty good film(IMO), and that Street Fighter 2 fight with Jackie as Chun Li was great. End fight where Jackie fights Edward Norton is very good as well.
    I thought I remembered City Hunter well enough, but Edward Norton was in it???

~Quinn
    Can't live without the classics...
    Original and Remixed Game Music

4. Fuck, I ment Richard Norton

I'm mixed up on Nortons here.

5. Right on, I gotcha.

He was also great as 'Gene Carlo' in Mr. Nice Guy. Hilarious!

~Quinn
    Can't live without the classics...
    Original and Remixed Game Music

6. P.S. Serious fans need to look for a Jackie flick called 'City Hunter'. The ending fight scene features a campy fight where Jackie Chan turns into Chin Li, and Gary Daniels into Ken! No bullshit. You must see it to believe it.
    So many people hate City Hunter because of the Street Fighter scene. Fools. That was great.

How did I forget about Drunken Master II? I think that's tied for my favorite kung fu film. And Shaolin Soccer was awesome, and it was a kung fu movie. Most of Stephen Chow's stuff is comedy primarily but SS had some wicked good kung fu (even though it was mostly wires). It's like watching live action Dragonball. And the "Evil Team"? How can you not love this movie?

And re: Hard Target, yeah, the movie could have been a lot better if Woo was given the proper respect he was due. But as a newcomer to hollywood, he had to take it up the ass from Universal and Van Damme. I really hope his career picks up again, eventhough Windtalkers looks kinda sketchy. He's gotta get back with Chow dammit. Actually, I think I'm going to write my english essay about this right now. Sigh...
    "Mother, this is your son, Roger Thornhill...No, no, Mother. I have not been drinking. No, no. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."

7. the focus of a kung fu movie is... the kung fu. Shaolin Soccer dabbles in it but the ultimate focus was on the soccer and using the Shaolin techniques to their advantage. SS is more like 90% comedy and 10% on the techniques.

greatest scene in Shaolin Soccer was the "thriller" dance sequence, especially the beginning when the guy gets up and starts talking about being a composer.

Originally posted by Sean Baby
    To the right is Jean Claude proving that if you do a move that's pretty enough, your opponent forgets how to fight. After seeing van Damme's Flying Blind Splits, Chong decides his best option is to go with the Somersault Barrel of Monkey. This is an ancient fighting technique used by young American children to go very quickly down hills. Also, if you jump high enough, the guy you're fighting will politely drop their hands and watch you kick them in the mouth. This is very useful to remember when want to kick your opponent in the face. But before I go, I'd like to give special thanks to Leapin' Joey, a member of the National Cheerleader's Association and fight choreographer for this movie.
    This paragraph made me laugh so hard that I started choking.

9. BeanBandit: Crouching Tiger was good, but had flaws. Namely, the wire-action wasn't that great (after watching too many Jet Li movies, I was spoting screw ups left and right), but the story was good.

I prefer Fist of Legend because it's non wire-action and has a much better story (I would say original as well, but it is a remake after all), which I say place it on a higher level.

And the Official Ninja Homepage rocks, they've added a lot of content lately. Unfortunately, they removed the Hippos! The bastards!

88mph: That was friggin' hysterical!

10. Originally posted by Ashen Victor
    the focus of a kung fu movie is... the kung fu. Shaolin Soccer dabbles in it but the ultimate focus was on the soccer and using the Shaolin techniques to their advantage. SS is more like 90% comedy and 10% on the techniques.

greatest scene in Shaolin Soccer was the "thriller" dance sequence, especially the beginning when the guy gets up and starts talking about being a composer.
    I disagree. A kung fu movie shouldn't be a bunch of showy fight sequences, linked together by a typical paper thin plot. I would hardly categorize Crouching Tiger as a romance type movie, despite the lengthly sequences where people are kissing rather than knocking out each other's teeth. Likewise, I wouldn't say Shaolin Soccer is a sports movie or a comedy. Drunken Master 2 (and several other Jackie Chan movies) also contain humour and lots of physical comedy.

And regarding the dance scene in SS, I've heard about it, but never seen it! because it is mysteriously absent from my DVD. Apparently it is on the VCD, which is really weird. I think I'll have to buy it just for that one scene. That's what I get for buying my DVDs in Chinatown.

BeanBandit: Crouching Tiger was good, but had flaws. Namely, the wire-action wasn't that great (after watching too many Jet Li movies, I was spoting screw ups left and right), but the story was good.

I prefer Fist of Legend because it's non wire-action and has a much better story (I would say original as well, but it is a remake after all), which I say place it on a higher level.

And the Official Ninja Homepage rocks, they've added a lot of content lately. Unfortunately, they removed the Hippos! The bastards!
    I don't know why I loved Crouching Tiger so much. It was such a surprise to see an Iron Monkey style film being made with a Hollywood style budget and image clarity. Not for everyone I suppose -- I can respect that. What I can't stand is people who came out saying, "What the hell was that? People can't fly in real life!" It's a movie for god's sake. Suspend your disbelief. Anyway...

Plus, Chow is awesome. Someone tell him to stop screwing around with crappy music video directors and do some more asian pictures.

edit: MechDeus - the hippo stuff is still there. You have to find it...
    "Mother, this is your son, Roger Thornhill...No, no, Mother. I have not been drinking. No, no. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."