Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Gamers A Step Closer To More Mature Themes In Games?

1. Originally posted by Saint of Killers
    The publisher (in this case, Rockstar) decides what can and can't go into a game. The ESRB will rate the game based on its content, but they can't censor the game.
    Not nessessarilly. In Banjo-Tooie on N64, in the desert area you can apparently climb to the highest area and look down to see a rock in the form of a penis unloading into a rock in the form of a vagina. Rare be naughty.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. Games have regressed into a pile of depravity.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Originally posted by Despair
    Isn't Poison a man, or used to be a man, anyway?
    It's kinda controversial subject since at the time Capcom did indeed say (s)he was a male transvestite or some shit but whether or not Capcom still holds this to be true seems to be unknown.

4. Why do people label games with excessive gore and nudity "mature" or "adult"? What's mature about them? Mature games are games with deep gameplay, I think if you consider a game like BMX XXX or chainsawing hookers in Vice City "Mature content" you should have "14 year old" tattooed to your forehead for the rest of your natural life.

5. Testify SpoDaddy.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. Spo, read my prior post to get an answer to your question, or read burgandys response to my post.

7. Mature video game is an oxymoron.. think about... you silly rabit.. video games are fo kids...

8. Gongos, your name is Spo? Damn, I thought multiple personalities were frowned upon in these boards.

9. This is what I think so it may be wrong, but doesn't the M stand for a "mature" audience. The game itself doesn't have to mature for it to have an M rating. As some of you have said already that Conker and the GTA games are childish, not mature, but they are intended for mature people who aren't going to go out and piss on people or snipe people from atop a strip club. The people, mature people, who these games were made for understand the difference between game and reality and know that these things are wrong in real life, hence they are mature. Just my thoughts on the argument.

Led me add that games with mature stories such as friends or families dying and other examples that people have given require a different type of maturity. If a little kid plays a game where his whole family is killed and other bad things happen he might get freaked out, so games like these require that the gamer have enough maturity to not be afraid and such. Kind of a bad example I guess but its the best I can come up with.

10. When playing the Atari 800 game Rescue on Fractalus (I'd say I was about 11-12 at the time), I was fucking mortified when the Jaggi jumped up in front of the ship's cockpit. I was literally "Redlining" as John McEnroe would call it on The Chair, and actually ran from the computer until I was about 20 feet from the monitor, then looked on in terror as the bastard pounded in the windshield.

This would be a mature theme, since it tries to scare you shitless- it would probably justify a T rating if the ESRB were around to rate Atari 800 titles.