Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Games that pushed their system to its limits

1. Games that pushed their system to its limits

Probably has been posted before, but I was just thinking. What are some games that really pushed their system to the limits, such as graphic wise and memory and what not.

Nintendo: ?

Super nintendo: This one has a couple in my opinion, Crono Trigger is a 32 bit game and is a damn long long game too, this game really shows off the true power of the Super Nintendo.
    Another one would be Super Mario RPG, I was surprised the SNES could do this game, one of the best looking games for the Snes.

Genesis: ?

Game boy/color: ?

Sega Saturn: ?

Playstation: ?

Ect.

2. Chrono Trigger was only 16 meg I think.

SNES: Tales of Phantasia, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Starfox

Genesis: Contra Hard Corps, Alien Solider, Gunstar Heroes, Thunderforce 4

Saturn: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dead or Alive, Xmen vs SF, Vampire Savior

PSX: Gran Turismo 1 & 2

Dreamcast: PSO

3. PS2 (thus far): Gran Turismo 3
    Gamecube (thus far): Star Fox Adventures
    Xbox (thus far): Splinter Cell or PD Orta
    Genesis: Gunstar Heroes sure was pretty...
    Sega Saturn: Shenmue
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

4. i remember Super Street Fighter 2 on Genesis was advertised to be a 40 meg game.. that's the most i can recall for a 16-bit game (w/ the exception of NG, of course )

also, i felt that ikaruga should have really pushed the DC's limits through the roof, but the system seemed to handle it without effort.. no loading times, and it was one of the few games that didn't sound like it was causing the DC to eat itself from the inside..

and the texture detail and variety of colors amaze me every time i play it..
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

5. SNES- Street Fighter Alpha 2, Yoshi's Island
    Genesis- Toy Story, Dynamite Headdy
    Saturn- Burning Rangers, Dragon Force (200 soldiers on-screen at once), VF 2
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. To its limits? PD was obviously more then the N64 could handle; Sky Gunner, Ico, and Dynasty Warriors 2 were as well for the PS2.

Or did you simply mean quality games?

7. Does anybody remember Batman for the NES having aweome graphics?
    I always thought that game looked great.
    Yeah, I agree about Ico. As far as graphical style goes, it's still my favorite looking game for the PS2.

8. Originally posted by Andy
    Sega Saturn: Shenmue

i remember Super Street Fighter 2 on Genesis was advertised to be a 40 meg game.. that's the most i can recall for a 16-bit game (w/ the exception of NG, of course )
    Tales of Phantasia for SFC is the system's only 48Mbit cartridge, to my knowledge. Of course, the game's numerous voice clips (including the title song's lyrics) probably took up half that space. Chrono Trigger is 32Mbit, Opa. It's Final Fantasy III/VI that's only 16.

And while we're on the subject of megabits... how the hell did Capcom fit 24 megs of SFII: CE onto one of those wee little HuCards? The game looks better than a lot of the CD-based games, too.

also, i felt that ikaruga should have really pushed the DC's limits through the roof, but the system seemed to handle it without effort..
    Ikaruga is a fine example of the computer engineering marvel that is the Dreamcast hardware. I'd say Shenmue/Shenmue II are the games that makes its innards steam, though. It's one thing rendering a top-down environment (even if it's in 3D), but huge, free-roaming areas like those in Shenmue/II have got to be much more taxing on the system.

9. Originally posted by Ste-Von
    Does anybody remember Batman for the NES having aweome graphics?
    I always thought that game looked great.
    Yeah, I agree about Ico. As far as graphical style goes, it's still my favorite looking game for the PS2.
    i dunno.. all i can remember is the cool-as-hell wall jump in the beginning..

*edit*
    i remember both MKII and FF3 on snes being 24 megs..
    if i remember right, super metroid was also 24 megs, and then DKC was 32 megs soon after..

anyway, i thought Killer Instinct was pretty well done on the SNES..

i still remember the commercial, with the arcade cab and the chainsaw
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!