Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Games are games, made for fun and relaxation, not to imitate reality."

1. "Games are games, made for fun and relaxation, not to imitate reality."

"Games are games, made for fun and relaxation, not to imitate reality." is a direct quote from the interview with Davor Tomicic on the front page, but I found it worthy of its own thread. It also points up a lot of problems I have with gaming trends over the last few years.

I'll take Serious Sam over Rainbow Six, or even Metal Gear over Splinter Cell. (Played the SC demo, didn't like it one bit. Too bad, it's damn pretty and I wanted to like it.) I want fantastic and strange to be the primary visual elements of my gaming, not a slavish recreation of what I see every day, complete with aiming penalties based on how sweaty your trigger finger is. I also find the gameplay of "Enemy, kill!" to be more fun than "Enemy, spend 5 minutes skulking." Not that sneaking can't be fun, it can be and frequently is, it's just nothing I want the whole game built around.

James

2. I couldn't agree more. I'll take abstract gameplay over simulation anyday. Games should be designed with fun in mind, not realism.

3. Yes, I agree 100%. The trend in gaming seems to be creating the prettiest tech demoes. I'd love to see more companies focus on unique art styles and play mechanics ala REZ, JGR, Kri, Ico or just all out fast, chaotic gameplay like the action games of old. *-neo

4. I prefer more creative/abstract types of games, but I think it's good to have variety. It's good to have both abstract and realistic games.

It really just depends on the game IMO.

5. Dumb quote. Maybe you have black ops missions daily, so you're used to it, but some of us don't have Navy SEAL training.

6. Originally posted by Schlep
    Dumb quote. Maybe you have black ops missions daily, so you're used to it, but some of us don't have Navy SEAL training.
    Wussy. Learn how to teach yourself, ala Maxi's Real Moves FAQ!

7. I like both at times.

Generally I like abstract concepts, but then there are games like Splinter Cell (as you had mentioned) that are realistic enough in something I have no, nor would I ever, have experience in. It's interesting and a challange. In a game like Splinter Cell I don't want a BFG or Invisibility cloaks. I want to see if I can face that challange. In other games, like Sam and Quake I want action, especially in Quake 3 - It's more of a sport than a game... in it's own world. Sometimes, being a small ship taking out thousands and thousands of enemies is a bit unsatisfying... it's hard to describe but there are times I want the challange of very real rigors which makes killing thousands of enemies that much more rewarding. I like Mars Matrix, but I also like Starlancer. Both can be taken hand in hand.

ºTracer
    o_O

8. While artistic games are great, you're really missing out on the superior gameplay many realistic games provide.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

9. Originally posted by Schlep
    Dumb quote. Maybe you have black ops missions daily, so you're used to it, but some of us don't have Navy SEAL training.
    I think you misinterprate the quote. I don't think he means its less fun because the content of all things reality based are inherantly mundane, but rather that a game should be conceived with gameplay in mind, and that imitating real life isn't condusive to gameplay. Life ain't a game.

Originally posted by Andy
    While artistic games are great, you're really missing out on the superior gameplay many realistic games provide.
    Reality seems like more of a limitation in gameplay than an asset. And who said anything about art?

10. Well whatever you want to call 'not real' games Anyway, sure, realism may seem like a detourant, but games like Counter-Strike, Gran Turismo, Splinter Cell, etc offer a ton of depth in their gameplay, and imo, can often be much more engaging than most 'not real' games.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.