Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Games are games, made for fun and relaxation, not to imitate reality."

1. Originally posted by Andy
    Well whatever you want to call 'not real' games Anyway, sure, realism may seem like a detourant, but games like Counter-Strike, Gran Turismo, Splinter Cell, etc offer a ton of depth in their gameplay, and imo, can often be much more engaging than most 'not real' games.
    Gran Turismo especially is ass *because* of its realism. It's great in a "I want to pretend I'm really driving a souped-up Civic" way, but it's about as fun as my wall.

Originally posted by James
    Thing is, I don't feel like pretending to be a Green Beret, or a member of a black-ops team. I've tried to like the stealth play games that are popular right now and I've come to the conclusion they just aren't for me. I can recognize that Splinter Cell is very well done, I just won't be having any fun if I play it.
    That's the nail on the head. Realistic games appeal to those who wish to recreate whatever activity the game is based on, but games not based on reality can engage a broader range of gamers because the appeal is based on gameplay, not a specific activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

2. The problem with most 'realistic' games is that they require the player to do a lot of the things that would be necessary in a real life situation, but without the means to do them intuitively.
    The original Gran Turismo illustrates my point quite well: in order to drive a real car on loose gravel/sand without spinning your tires, you need to gently press on the gas, but that isn't possible in the game, because there were no analog buttons. You've got a pretty realistic simulation of a car with demanding physics, but you all you can do is slam on the gas. It's not like driving a real car, it's like driving a real car with a shitty remote control. How fun is that?
    Sure you can buy a steering wheel for a racing game, or a fishing rod for a fishing game, etc, but that's expensive, and what kind of accessory could possibly give a game like Splinter Cell a realistic interface.

3. kedawa: I think that applies to alot of games. Simulation just doesn't make sense through a controller interface. Simulations may be deep, but not becauise they are simulations. A total fabrication can be deep as well. It seems like simulation is confining, and given that it's impossible to accurately simulate a real life experience with a control pad, it seems like backward thinking.

4. You can't make something entirely realistic, but the appeal to making something as close to real as you can (which depends on the subject) like with SimCity (in a way) adds a distinct element and challange that isn't achieved in abstract games because the outside forces are contrived... an abstract challange. This is fine, but so is modeling a game after economic systems or psychology which is real (though both too fuzzy to PRECISELY atticulate in any form, let alone games). This is one of the many reasons why Will Wright is a genius.

ºTracer
    o_O

5. What I find ironic is that Metal Gear is generally hailed for its realism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

6. Originally posted by burgundy
    Gran Turismo especially is ass *because* of its realism. It's great in a "I want to pretend I'm really driving a souped-up Civic" way, but it's about as fun as my wall.
    Well that's completely disregarding the whole point of a realistic racer. You can liken what GT is about by comparing it to a precision sport that you practice over and over to perform perfectly (or try to get as close to it as possible). It's a lot like a 2d shooter when you think about it. There's a lot more strategy and consideration you have to take to succeed than you would think.

Realistic games appeal to those who wish to recreate whatever activity the game is based on, but games not based on reality can engage a broader range of gamers because the appeal is based on gameplay, not a specific activity.
    If you look at sales charts, that's actually not the case. For instance, look in the latest issue of EGM, the sales charts for August shows Madden 2003 for PS2 at the #1 spot, SOCOM US Navy Seals at 3, with NCAA 2003 and Madden 2003 at 4 and 5. GTA3 comes in at #6, with Dead to Rights at #8, Gran Turismo 3 at 9 and Medal of Honor Frontline at 10. Two entries for NFL2K3, Stuntman, NBA Street, and Street Hoops round out the top 20. If you're counting, that's 13 entries for games based in reality. Say what you want, but sales charts consistently show there's just as much (and in most months, more) of a market for realistic games as there is for fantasy games. Also worth mentioning, is the fact that the only games on the list made completely as games and unrealistic are Mario and Halo, the other games that aren't realistic are based on licences of Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragon Ball Z.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

7. It's hard to draw any conclusions from sales stats of individual titles, since they only show which game sold the most, and not necessarily which type of game. And we all know that just because many people bought a game, doesn't mean they enjoyed it. This is especially true around xmas. Xmas=Christmas... TO THE EXTREME!!! Sorry, I just had to get that out.
    And suppose someone made a game that plays like Mario 64, but looks like MGS2, and someone else made a game that was just vice versa. It would be interesting to see which one would sell better. I suspect a lot of casual gamers buy games based on visual and thematic aspects of games as opposed to how realistic the gameplay is.

8. At no point have I ever considered GTA realistic. I'm not sure there's an accurate sim element in the games anywhere. It's based in the real world but everything you do in it is arcade action. Drive fast, shoot quick, blow up the helicopter for a 6-star wanted level.

Definitely not a realistic game.

James