Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overrated films?

1. Overrated films?

Everybody who digs films in some capacity must believe some films are truly overrated, so maybe thats a good topic for discussion. Ill start it off:

Memento - I dunno whats the big deal about this movie... I mean the story is nice and its well-told but it never really clicks to me, it just sort of plops along and it ends. I bought it for $15 and ended up trading it in at EB for $10. If I had to rate it I would give it 2.5 out of 4 stars, at most.

Every Kevin Smith movie - I think this guy gets wayyyy too much credit. He's a good writer and his dialogue is often sharp but if you ask me most of his movies are pretty crummy. My favorite is probably Dogma but even that's stretching it as I only saw it once and have no desire to ever see it again. On top of that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was just terrible.

2. Re: Overrated films?

Originally posted by diffusionx
    Everybody who digs films in some capacity must believe some films are truly overrated, so maybe thats a good topic for discussion. Ill start it off:

Memento - I dunno whats the big deal about this movie... I mean the story is nice and its well-told but it never really clicks to me, it just sort of plops along and it ends. I bought it for $15 and ended up trading it in at EB for $10. If I had to rate it I would give it 2.5 out of 4 stars, at most.

Every Kevin Smith movie - I think this guy gets wayyyy too much credit. He's a good writer and his dialogue is often sharp but if you ask me most of his movies are pretty crummy. My favorite is probably Dogma but even that's stretching it as I only saw it once and have no desire to ever see it again. On top of that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was just terrible.
    I agree that Every kevin smith movie is overrated, but they are very good IMO. Chasing Amy is probably the best movie of the lot, but Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is my favourite (what can I say, I think dick and fart jokes are funny)

and I think Memento deserves the praise it gets.

As for overrated movies, My vote goes for the Matrix and fight club. Both are very good, but don't deserve half the praise they get.

3. I think Memento is awesome. As is Following (another film by Chris Nolan).

Anyway, movies that are overrated...

Titanic. One of the poorest writing, acting and directing jobs ever.

Jurassic Park. I've read the book. 3-5 times. It's amazing. The movie can't even come close to matching the fear and excitement of the book. Plus, the acting and writing were terrible.

That's about all I can think of, off hand.
    bastard of the new world order.

4. Dogma was overrated IMHO.

As was the Matrix, though I enjoyed it.

This one will leave a mark:

Any Star Wars Movie. I love them to death, but they aren't worth YOUR LIFE. If you have ever met a Star Wars NUT you know what I'm talking about.

5. Diffx> You're a Jersey man, how could you not love Smith's movies?!?

Memento and Fight Club deserve all the praise they get.

I sort of agree with Master on the Star Wars thing.

I nominate Mulholland Drive, the most nonsensical peice of shit I have ever seen, yet apparently that's what makes it "genius" and "a masterpeice".

6. Fight Club, every Kevin Smith movie, and Minority Report are the most overrated movies ever.

7. Master is totally correct about Star Wars.
    bastard of the new world order.

8. Well, Many of highly praised Drama movies.

The Others. I hear so much about how good this movie is, and horror done right, but it almost bored me to death.

Blair Witch Project - I felt that this story about 3 idiots lost in the woods, got too much praise and attention it deserved. Annoying shaky cam, dialog that consist of saying Fuck every other word, and supposevly scary happenings, dont make a good horror movie.

9. I agree with Master, the original trilogy is a great bunch of movies, but that's just what they are: movies. Nothing to form a cult over. And Episode 1 was terrible imo, Episode 2 was pretty cool and I will be picking it up on DVD Tuesday though

Movies with Tom Hanks, I like him but everything he touches ins't always gold...