Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Overrated films?

1. #1 = English patient (How could anyone sit through that?)

Yes, Star Wars (where the fans ended up ruining a decent trilogy because of their damn toy collections)

Terminator 2 overrated? When you left the theater did you feel like it lived up to the hype? I sure as hell did.

Matrix was average.
    The new 8 mile movie is rediculously overrated as is Jackass.

I agree with most of the films here so far, except for the late Ethugg. Too many he listed are cinema jewels.

Just about any new film that gets advertised on the tele is overrated.
    I rarely go see movies anymore in theaters unless they really appeal to me. Last flick I saw was Spirited Away, which even though was brought to us by Disney still managed to entertain my jaded ass.

2. Originally posted by Yoshi
    Die. I mean it. Besides, every knowledgeable fan knows that The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest film ever made.
    I'm sorry man, but I'm just calling it as I see it. Maybe I'm missing something, but this movie (series) just isn't real compelling storyline-wise to me. I'm not even saying the movies are BAD, just overrated, as I even found some joy out of Ep 1.

Maybe one day I'll rewatch them all (after Ep 3 is out) so I can refresh my memory and see if I think it still is the most overrated movie of all time, but I doubt it will change my mind.

3. Shrek is the ugliest piece of shit I've ever seen. There's no way in hell that it deserved that oscar.

Fight club was alright, but not great. The ending was shit.

4. Originally posted by burgundy
    Agreed. Great idea, suckass execution.

Ep 1 was great. It told one epic story. Ep 2 was a disjointed shitty mess, now matter how cool seeing Yoda fight was.
    You are fucked up. Ep. 2 was in every way better than Ep. 1 and if you ask me - I'll tell you that it is the best SW yet.

I think Kevin Smith movies are awful, but Dogma was too goddamned preachy. Every dialouge is about the way institutions fuck up the ideas in religion. They then had a villan (of sorts) with a good motivation and the premise would make for a great antagonist but it was horribly delivered by Ben Affleck. The story was good, dialouge was awful, the basic idea behind the characters ranged from either ultra-shitty to really good. I suppose it had to be a Kevin Smith-style movie and thats what killed it. He should have waited on it untill he was tired of making Jay & Silent Bob based movies. He's best in depicting more casual senerios with that. J & SB was too over the top and Dogma was too preachy/silly (for it's own good). Mallrats was also over-the-top and pretty damned silly. Party movie for teenagers I guess. Clerks and Chasing Amy were much better, Clerks especially showed some of KS's flair in film-making. I will give him a couple more shots at making a good film that deviates from the Clerks formula (and w/o J&SB).

The English Patient, Titanic and quite a few others are over-rated. I can see how FC and The Matrix could be seen as over-rated, but that's only because they recive such tremendous amounts of praise it'd be hard for any movie to justify it for everyone.

ºTracer

Originally posted by amerlop
    Lord of the Rings (yes, I know some of you think it sacriledge but it was)
    Uh... ummm... OMG!!

Fcuk Yuo!
    o_O

5. I think Kevin Smith movies are awful
    Clerks can not be considered awful, not matter how you look at it. Brilliant simple film that had me rolling when I first saw it. And in black n' white!? Smith sold a majority of his comic book collection so he could make that movie, and for the cost it is a rare beaut.

The rest of his films are pretty bland, and get worse as they progress.

6. "Clerks can not be considered awful, not matter how you look at it."

It's alright, but there's definitely some pretty bad acting in there.

7. Originally posted by TracerBullet
    - I'll tell you that it is the best SW yet.
    And I must then proceed to tell you that your pants are too tight.

8. Originally posted by Booshido
    Clerks can not be considered awful, not matter how you look at it. Brilliant simple film that had me rolling when I first saw it. And in black n' white!? Smith sold a majority of his comic book collection so he could make that movie, and for the cost it is a rare beaut.

The rest of his films are pretty bland, and get worse as they progress.
    Read all of it. Go on.. I said clerks was good.

ºTracer
    o_O