Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Comic Book thread

1. Official Comic Book thread

Well, someone had to come up with one, so here it is. And seeing as how I'm possibly the biggest comic geek here, I will get the ball rolling. SO what was your favorite single issue story of a comic? Mine had to be X-men #33, a story where Sabretooth relates to Rogue how he first met Gambit. The story and art were so perfect, and the end is very tragic. My second vote would have to be Wolverine #90. It was the umpteenth fight between Wolverine and Sabretooth, but their battles have never looked this good, and were never this violent. And that ending! I won't spoil it for anyone.

2. I haven't been buying comics for a while now, but I have a huge collection, and I used to manage a comic store, so I have a pretty good background.

And as for favorite comic(s), I'd have to say:

HATE by Peter Bagge: Some of the best writing I have ever seen, and just completely wacky all around.

Bone by Jeff Smith: Great story, and incredilbe artwork.

Amazing Spiderman 334-339 by Erik Larson: These are some of the best drawn, and writtin Spiderman comics I'd ever seen. Anytime I think of Spidey, these comics (and the Sinister Six pop into my head).

These are just a couple of my faves that pop into my head at the moment. I'll post again later when some more stuff comes to me.

3. Larsen's a good artist, but I never though much of his writing. I liked the Return of the Sinister Six arc alright, but if you want to see Spiderman written really, really well, check out the current Ulitmate Spider-man and Amazing Spider-Man. Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate) and J. Michael Straczinsky (Amazing) are two of the best writers in the business right now.

I agree about Bone. It used to be one of my favorite comics, up until I quit reading comics in the early/mid ninties. I need to start picking up the all the trades I missed, but then there's ALOT of trades I need to pick up.

As for my favorite single issue, that's a real tough (and good) question. I'm gonna have to think about it.

4. Originally posted by Saint of Killers
    Larsen's a good artist, but I never though much of his writing. I liked the Return of the Sinister Six arc alright, but if you want to see Spiderman written really, really well, check out the current Ulitmate Spider-man and Amazing Spider-Man. Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate) and J. Michael Straczinsky (Amazing) are two of the best writers in the business right now.

I agree about Bone. It used to be one of my favorite comics, up until I quit reading comics in the early/mid ninties. I need to start picking up the all the trades I missed, but then there's ALOT of trades I need to pick up.

As for my favorite single issue, that's a real tough (and good) question. I'm gonna have to think about it.
    I've read that some of the current Spidey books are pretty good, just haven't got around to picking them up.

Not to mention it really doesn't make sense for me to buy new comics, when (like you said) there are only about a zillion trade paperbacks I can pick up with all the back issues I've missed.

5. waiting for Shidima #5 and Bastard #5. Those are the only comics I’m collecting, for now

6. Currently collecting:

Transformers Generation 1
    Cowboy Bebop Translated Manga
    Bone
    Sock Monkey
    Liberty Meadows
    Ultimate Spiderman

7. I just started reading Sock Monkey, and I gotta say Tony Millionaire's one crazy fucker. I really want to read Maakies now. I hear it's alot darker.

Liberty Meadows also rules.

8. Originally posted by Saint of Killers
    I just started reading Sock Monkey, and I gotta say Tony Millionaire's one crazy fucker. I really want to read Maakies now. I hear it's alot darker.
    Go over to www.maakies.com and view all the strips your heart desires.

9. For some mysterious reason, all the comics I start to buy either disappear or get released on a bi-centennial basis.

I've been reading Bone since issue 3 or so, but the story has slowed to a snail's pace and doesn't have any of the magic that used to make it so good. Add that with the fact that it comes out so seldom that I can never remember what happened in the last issue.

Used to read Gen 13, until J. Scott Campbell stopped drawing it. Followed him to Danger Girl, which was awesome but also never comes out.

Used to read Scud: The Disposable Assassin and La Cosa Nostroid (my two favorite comics ever) but those also vanished suddenly without a trace.

And for my manga fix it was Gunsmith Cats, which, saddly, has ended.

So now all I read is the backs of cereal boxes and those little "Jesus is our savior" flyers that street preachers hand me.
    "Mother, this is your son, Roger Thornhill...No, no, Mother. I have not been drinking. No, no. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."

10. Originally posted by BeanBandit
    Used to read Scud: The Disposable Assassin and La Cosa Nostroid (my two favorite comics ever) but those also vanished suddenly without a trace.
    mmmmmmm...

SCUD ownz me!

I need to go thru my old comics, and dig out a few issues of that!

*runs to basement*