Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A World Without 2D

*checks the link*

So 2D's dying? Well hey, that's not so bad!

2. Originally posted by Jimmy Carter
    Mainstream? No. It'll never be mainstream again in the console arena. But a niche has been formed and companies can make profits from that niche. The thing is, they need to learn to market their product better.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say.

I truly hope that 2D manages to find a niche..

3. Originally posted by Ex Ranza
    So 2D's dying? Well hey, that's not so bad!
    is what a man says when he's experienced the world that is ASS HUNTER!
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

4. I don't think so. I think once the novelty of 3D graphics wears off, and the quality plateaus (when budget becomes the limiting factor in graphical quality and not hardware) then 3D will no longer be a selling point of a game, and 2D art will have a place again.

Originally posted by Frogacuda
    I don't think so. I think once the novelty of 3D graphics wears off, and the quality plateaus (when budget becomes the limiting factor in graphical quality and not hardware) then 3D will no longer be a selling point of a game, and 2D art will have a place again.
    Maybe, but another possibility is that 3D graphics will advance to a point where developers can create visuals with all the detail we enjoy in hand-drawn 2D art. Once that happens, 2D might be regarded as unnecessary.

6. Originally posted by Frogacuda
    I think once the novelty of 3D graphics wears off

I don't know if that will ever happen. It seems that if the novelty of 3D was going to wear off, it would have been during the PSx era.

The thing is, 3d isn't a novelty. It's not some fad that's going away or going to hit a peak. It's just the natural evolution of gaming and technology. I'm not saying it's superior to 2d but I think the shift to a 3d-dominated video game world was definitely predictable.

8. ....and a red nightfall....

I've always wanted to say that.

9. The only evolution I can see from 2D gaming is when the high-res look of GGX becomes the norm, and then THAT increases the quality of stuff. Other than that, I don't think there's much that can be done from a gameplay standpoint. Other than having every 2D game have multiple planes like in the Fatal Fury games.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. 3D allowed racing games to be taken seriously for once. No way can 3D be considered a 'novelty'.