Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A World Without 2D

1. A World Without 2D

Simply put, do you think there will ever be a time when developers simply stop making 2D games? I know this may be a disheartening thought, but I think it's inevitable. No matter how much people scream "its the gameplay not the graphics", a time will come when people will scoff at a 2D game and developers will think nothing beyond getting the most out of the processing power given to them, forgetting all about what video games really are. Some may say that that has happened already, but not on the scale that I'm talking about. There are still a handful of developers creating 2D games, Contra being a testament to that, but the clock is ticking, and the days of 2D gameing are almost gone. I believe the final nail will be put into the coffin when we usher in the next generation of consoles, but I could be wrong. I don't see how though, but I guess it's possible.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

I think 2D as a graphics style (flat background bitmaps) is just about over. That excludes GBA for now, but eventually even GBA will be replaced by a 3D portable.

But 2D-styled games with polygonal visuals may be around for awhile. Not in great numbers, tho.

3. the GBA's still around, isn't it?

i think you may be right, but there's a chance that 2D could come back into mainstream favor..
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

4. I don't know if I'd want a 3D portable system... it just feels wrong... :/
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

5. Mainstream? No. It'll never be mainstream again in the console arena. But a niche has been formed and companies can make profits from that niche. The thing is, they need to learn to market their product better.

The reason 2D games lose money for companies is because they spend too much on marketing in the wrong places, me thinks. They need to use their money wisely.
    bastard of the new world order.

I feel that 2D is on its way out, which is very very depressing.

7. 2-dimensional games that provide a foreground and a background and nothing more are definitely on their way out. However, their gameplay styles will continue to live on. Look at supposedly 3-d fighters. A good number of them are actually 2-dimensional.

I don't like this "world without 2D"...

Think up another one!

9. You mean like one where this is running rampant?
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.