Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A World Without 2D

1. Eventually, everything'll be a holodeck. Which means this:

I have no idea what crimes Acclaim will be forced to answer for in the future.
    -Kyo

2. Ahhh... to have a holodeck for Shinobi or Gungrave...

OT: I wish there was a balance between the two, but casual gamers tend to be directed solely towards 3D graphics and they hold a lot of cash. A group I know plays DOA3 incessantly because of the over-the-top nature, but won't touch MvC2 just because it's 2D. Take that as you will.

3. Casual gamers tend to gush over anything that looks purdy, which COULD include 2D. But as the sales for GGX indicated...
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. Originally posted by NeoZeedeater
    The thing is, 3d isn't a novelty. It's not some fad that's going away or going to hit a peak. It's just the natural evolution of gaming and technology. I'm not saying it's superior to 2d but I think the shift to a 3d-dominated video game world was definitely predictable.
    Exactly, which is why 2D gaming will eventually be phased out by uber technology. Most developers will simply see no incentive in making 2D games when they have this technology at their hands to create stunning 3D graphics, which is unfortunalely accompanied by crappy gameplay much of the time.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

5. I remember there was a topic a long time ago about someone designing a new 2D console. I think that topic was before the boards went down the last time though... anyway, someone here made a mock-up 2D system which used carts and which would cater to "hardcore" enthusiasts and the homebrew scene.

I still think something like that would be wonderful. A console where the profit margains would allow it to exist in a "hardcore" niche, where modest internet sales could make it worthwhile and profitable for 2D games to be released. A small loyal community could possibly support something like this, more so perhaps than even a 2D niche doing well on the major consoles. It'll likely never happen, but it really would be nice.