Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Max Anime Development Project

1. Discussion: Max Anime Development Project

Unless the passion has died out...who is still interested in doing anime coverage for "Project: Max Anime"

Submissions of anime reviews, features, etc...can be sent to jobs@the-nextlevel.com

We're working on several new aspects for the site, among which include a totally new look for the core TNL site (yet another move to a new, dedicated server), and a few other things along the way. Max Anime happens to be one of the planned elements in the agenda.

I'd really like to see some development of this return as it was long-overdue and it could be really cool with the right people behind it.

Thus far, I'd like Cynical Sphere to work in its delegation, but we'll need writers, and most definitely someone skilled in HTML design and such.

In order to prevent the same questions from being asked on a recurring basis...the following thread will act as a psuedo-FAQ according to significant questions pertaining to the forthcoming project.

"Max Anime" FAQ Ver 1.0 11/24/2002

Q: What type of anime content is permissible and / or prohibited?

A: The following guidelines should be considered when thinking of what to cover...

• Submitted by Lhadatt
    • Licensed and unlicensed are usually OK. The problem here is you don't want to open the site up to accusations of supporting piracy by "reviewing" fansubs/digisubs. Review the titles, don't review the asthetics of how it's presented unless it's a legit release.
    • Stay away from advocating things like HK DVDs and so forth. Licensed/legit stuff only.
    • Since there are major site collectives that specialize in news (i.e. Akadot with their Anime News Service and Anime News Network) in addition to those which primarily focus on DVD content (i.e. Anime on DVD); make it your aim to try to take a different approach.

What I would suggest is an all-around site, similar to how Anime Colony on scifi.com was run. Post news, reviews, special articles, etc.
    • Try to be non-otakuish -- meaning, don't be like AoD's shiny-disc-buy-it-all horde. Bring in some critical opinions once in a while.

Q: Will we need to purchase our own anime tapes for review coverage, or will copies be provided?

A: At this point in time, yes - you'll be required to use your own personal collections and investments to generate content. Many sites have started out this way before they could begin to acquire support from developers (TNL included). Should "Max Anime" prove to be a wholly successful endeavor, you can be ceratin that we'll explore as many opportunities to expand our resources.

Q: Will you have ownership of our work? Can we publish our work elsewhere?

A: Unless we provided copyright/contractural agreements, the work is your own. However, we do ask that the content you provide remain exclusive to "Max Anime".

Q: Who should I submit my application samples to?

A: Any interested persons should address their articles for consideration to jobs@the-nextlevel.net (If you sent any submissions to .com, please resend to the aforementioned address.

Q: What will be the target focus of "Max Anime" ?

A: In line with the suggested criteria above --- reviews, features, previews (First Looks), and significant news related to the anime market. (Note to Jester: I will be in touch)

There you go...let's discuss...(again)

2. C'mon, let's get some replies going here...

Yeah, I'm still interested.

3. I'm down, I have a bacherlor's in computer graphics and know html very well. PM me and give me the details for the job duties. I need something to put on my resume resembling professional experience and an excuse to give my fiance to let me post here regularly.

4. I'll definitely write, if you'd allow me.
    I've been planning on writing something up to send to ya, Bahn, but time is almost non-existent for me in college thus far.
    Expect something on Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu!

5. Note: In case those who've posted are wondering where your questions went...the top post has been updated with new info in relation to the previous questions of those who posted so far (I didn't just delete them w/o answering them above). Details explained above!

6. I'm interested as well, I just haven't had the time to write up a review on something. I'll probably hop on it over this upcoming long weekend.

~Mr. K~

7. i think TNL still needs better games coverage before it starts spreading into anime. Most of the reviews are of games already weeks old, and there's what, like 2 a week? I love TNL, but don't get caught trying to do it all. It's one thing to have a small section here in the forum, but another to try doubling the amount of content you have when the extra work would be appriciated (and is needed) elsewhere on the site.

8. Originally posted by stormy
    i think TNL still needs better games coverage before it starts spreading into anime. Most of the reviews are of games already weeks old, and there's what, like 2 a week? I love TNL, but don't get caught trying to do it all. It's one thing to have a small section here in the forum, but another to try doubling the amount of content you have when the extra work would be appriciated (and is needed) elsewhere on the site.
    Stormy, unless I'm mistaken the new anime project is not going to cut into TNL much if at all. I'm under the impression that it's going to be more of a "sister site" with a different staff.

Granted, we need people to help, and this thread isn't generating much of a response and the application email is empty as of right now....

9. Originally posted by stormy

i think TNL still needs better games coverage before it starts spreading into anime. Most of the reviews are of games already weeks old, and there's what, like 2 a week? I love TNL, but don't get caught trying to do it all. It's one thing to have a small section here in the forum, but another to try doubling the amount of content you have when the extra work would be appriciated (and is needed) elsewhere on the site.
    I am glad that you actually are bringing this up, because this gives me the opportunity to provide a final reply regarding the subject -- once and for all. Unfortuantely...I see comments like this and then I see the need to speak out and explain the bare facts as to what goes on behind-the-scenes (so to speak)

Woe for the LONG reply...

TNL has been and will continue to work on expanding its games coverage. Looking back on our debut on the web in 1998, the site has certainly grown and improved in a variety of areas. We have one of the most polished editorial teams, and the integrity is very solid, I am happy to be working with such a passionate group of gamers. (Remember that word --- passionate -- because you're going to hear it a lot throughout this response).

Nick, the staff and I are well aware that there's room for improvement, and are taking steps to expand in areas where we find feasible. We are not going to just write token articles just for the sake of meeting a status quo. Though we are focusing on creating more features (interviews, developer profiles, editorials), periodic promotions, among any other medium where we can expand.

All the news that's fit to print...(or something)

In our defense regarding Headlines, we had an ongoing discussion as to how to address this and frankly --- none of us are interested in just slapping some words together about a subject that gamers will have minimal or no interest about. We will not specialize in being another news portal for content that you can read on 500 other sites that basically "rip" from the top gaming sites. What we will do is produce headlines based on what we consider to be thought-provacative and appealing. That actually means you'll see less headlines, but when we do post something, you can bet that it's something significant

Because we're not generating a traffic frequency of 50k a day like the top sites IGN/Gamespot...thus we do not qualify to receive exclusive news featured by a few other sites (and simply recycling the same news that 500 other sites have also posted is not only pointless but not the best method of using our site's current strengths.

Reviews, and the 2-week timeframe

As for our reviews: Our reviewable copies are received from PR distribution houses. They are sent to us when they receive it. Since we operate remotely within our office/home locations --- not to mention we lack the debug units --- unlike IGN, TNL can not produce reviews at the time in which a game officially ships to store shelves.

So what does this mean? TNL must wait until it receives the actual retail copies sent to the Public Relations manager (me), or the designated editors. From there, well --- we have to play the game of course do we not...and we spend at least 2 weeks to play a game extensively so that we can provide a quality write up. Could we reduce the timeline down to 1 week? We could, but as the editorial director, I will not pressure our staff to rush through a game for the sake of getting it out quicker. We are focused on quality and thoroughness.

Your feedback

I guess you've never actually written for any existing gaming site...because then you would be able to relate as to what truly goes on, and it would quell any mythos that you might be pondering.

Though I am glad to hear you love the site and aren't bashing us like we're not doing anything. Everyone is trying their best. Managing a gaming site is a very high-maintenance responsiblity for us all who manage it between jobs, families, school --- basically an active social life, and it's not nearly as simple as you might imagine it to be. Talk to Neomega's Andyrose who's working to build a substantial audience from the ground up, or any one of the board patrons who reguarly manage a gaming site or something co-related -- note their "humble beginnings" and you'll realize that the process to expanding any platform takes time. We don't necessarily need more staff, but we do explore possibilities within reason to meet those objectives. I can't say this enough...Cynical, Rhydant (pioneers of PlayStation Interactive) can relate their own experiences about this --- we've come a long way...and we only intend for it to get better with time. Give us a little bit more credit. At least we're still here to improve. ^_^

Excuses notwithstanding...this is not our jobs. There's no paychecks handed out and we spend a considerable amount of our time each week to provide something on the site. Our work is fueled by passion, not obligation..."increasing the amount of work" is something I've done for years and years...why else do you think we're still around while other .com's have bowed out.

Cynical is correct, Max Anime was a project started way before Kenshin was even aboard as a designer. Numerous things went wrong (most of it due to internal management struggles) and as a result the concept suffered and never saw the light of day. Now, we are working hard to bring it back. TNL is not going to be compromising its existing manpower by using the same members to focus on the anime platform, which is why this thread even exists --- for the avid anime fans who possess a solid, unconditional passion and can back it up with quality writing skills.

The site will exist as a supporting site, much like AnimeFan did for GameFan. We're looking for ppl...ones that are optimistic and want to get a chance to do something fun. So we are encouraging positive support...and a bit less personal (though appreciated) critique on TNL's overall performance.

The range of content may be considered slim to you, but steps are being made to expand in other areas. Though if you are truly passionate about the site and have a concept which you believe would make a beneficial (or perhaps regular) contribution to the site -- Nick and I would love to hear it.

P.S. Re: 2 reviews a week (seems that I read your comment about that wrong the first time)

We don't produce 2 a week dude (get real)...how often do YOU come to the site again? We just finished posting a set of reviews. With close to 20-30 more on the way. That comment right there was hardly supportive acknowledgement for our hard work. What an insult to our efforts.

10. We don't produce 2 a week dude (get real)...how often do YOU come to the site again? We just finished posting a set of reviews. With close to 20-30 more on the way. That comment right there was hardly supportive acknowledgement for our hard work. What an insult to our efforts.
    I was under the same impression. After reading this I went back to look at the big list 'o reviews page, and looked at the dates. Sure enough, there were more than I thought. I think I can identify the problem, in my case, at least. When I'm on the main page, I take the game pics on the right side of the page to be the newest reviews. Well, the ones that are there right now have been there for a while, right? Since about the fifth, I guess?

So, it might be a good idea to keep those up to date, or to put a little blurb above them saying what they are, or something.