Thread: Game Creation

1. Game Creation

Been doing some high level design work on a game, I'm working on a list of more specific stuff right now, soooo, if you'd like to contribute, I'd appreciate it

Basically, I need a list of Really Cool Places. It's (sort of) an rpgish game, so you'll be going and exploring (or exploiting and utilizing) these locations, and it contains both technology and magic, so everything from a Magic Node to a Demonic Spaceship to a Research Station orbiting a gas giant to an Infested Asteroid to an Undersea Military Base would be fair game. ANYTHING you can think of. Basically, if there was ever a memorable location in any game you've ever played, regardless of genre, I'd like to hear it.

Obviously, I already have a big list, and some stuff is pretty simple, but I'm looking for a bit more than ye olde dungeon hole in the ground. I've also got a laundry list of terrain types for planetary creation, so if you've got some abnormal terrain ideas, lemme know (undersea bases, fights on the side of a cliff in the middle of a hailstorm, etc).

These places will be populated (or not) by all manner of human, non human, abhuman, mutant, magical, technological, and other critters, but I'm not worrying about that aspect at this point. I just need the locations right now, filling them can come later. Some of these locations will be more than simple 'dungeons' that you go in and 'clear out'. Not all of the confrontations will be beatdown for phat xps, you'll also be gaining control of some of these places to use for your town/planet/galactic empire. Gain control of a rare mineral mine and use it to forge new swords, enchant those swords with the lore you gained from a magical fortress, then arm your armies with it, etc.
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact

2. I always come up with loactions like these among others.

Usually it comes from listening to music. For this - I would first recommend you go out an buy Vangelis' Mythodeia.

I usually model futureistic things from existing Planets and Moons (especially Moons, there are some fantastic ones in the solar system). I had an Idea for a loacle called 'St. Noir' which used to be my user location here. My idea for it was on Europa (Frozen Wattery moon of Jupiter). A kinda of 1920's style big and tall city reaching from high above the surface to under the thick frozen water crust to a subteranian ocean illuminated by huge pillars of irridesenct bacteria that sentient marine life feeds off of. That is warmed by volcanic vents and a radioactive sea floor. The city itself is like said - 1920's in style, but clearly advanced and futureisitc. Jupiter and Io (Jupiter's 2nd Largest moon and proximate to Europa) in the sky. Buildings are very tall and the surface areas are terraced but overlapping (think Blade Runner). In orbit above it are numerous space-stations. Some strike me as very utilitarian while others as old and now very seedy. How would you imagine the Outer Solar systems Largest city within this style? Listen to some cool Trance infused Jazz and think on it. I'll bet you can come up with some vivid imaginitive recounts of the place. This is called Saint Noir because the French phrase (over used and over mocked) Sacré Bleu means "Sacred Blue" refering to the sky. Noir is french for Black and while Sacré Noir might make more sence, Saint and Sacred are moreorless the same thing in French. Saint Noir is the name and I rather like it.

While listening to Vangelis I think of ruins, millions of years old but still standing resting low on the surface of Mars. The looks of an old civilization long past (perhaps like a fusion of Greek and Egyptian and something altogether diffrent). The ruins lead deep below ground to a gateway near it you hear a low pitched humm. Almost a rumbling. What's beyond it? Take a listen to Vangelis' Mythodea and try to imagine for yourself.

The large Asteroid Iona sits far from pretty much anything (barring Mars' 2 mini moons) in the asteroid belt. The margin between the Jovian gas giant and the Sun is almost equidistant. Originally planned to be used as a vessel, the asteroid was moved from it's orbit to a close proximity to Mars. Automated robots were employed to hollow it out and create a neuronium core (made from dense metals mined from Mercury by other machines) to give it greater instead of traditionally spinning it and inverting the surface. After intense mining the asteroid looked like a plastic easter egg parted in the center. The top most portion was most densely habitated by American seperatists who had previously occupied Earth's Antartic region in a simular life support system as is on Iona. The city in the Northeren "Eliptisphere" (being eliptical.. I made up that word to suit my needs) looks naturally formed. Looking like Post Modern american cities but in close twine with a rugged and (atirficially) carved green and lush landscape with waterfalls, hills and mountians under a bright sun and black sky. Though it is in it's own Oribit, it's mroeorless in sync with the revolution of mars around the sun. It perpetually hangs low in the Northren sky 2/3's of the year. The north is ringed with a fairly deep sea all the way around. This is water pulled from Mars' frozen poles. The cities on the northren half also leads under ground till it reaches the unusual equator region. The equator has 1/3rd the circumfrence of the 2 halves and is much like a "wagon-wheel" space station. Incoming and outgoing celestial traffic comes and goes through this region. It's the maintenence base and the government base. Very blank looking, I imagine it something like Cosmic Smash as far as appearaces go, or maybe like the Camino Cloning facility in SW Episode II. The South is more or less like the north. On that note - day's are 24 hrs. long, but solar days are roughly 6 months and a full revolution of the sun is 12.2 months. Like the earths polar regions in other words. The people there refer to themselves as Meta Man or Meta Human. They are human with a genetic alteration, that being a independant organ near the kidneys that generates a silicon based white bloodcell that operates independantly of regular blood cells. These are called smart cells. They repair damage done to the bidy quickly cause by violence, disease or decay. Thier life spans are generally longer, but the effect is that the people are becomeing more and more silicon based (naturally) than carbon. "Trouble" Organs like Lungs, Livers and Hearts (especially) are being transformed on the genetic level over many years to become more solid and less prone to disease and age but, instances of malfunction have been on the rise. They face a new and unusally epidemic. Thier bodies can no longer live w/o but they are losing control over what the smart cells do and do not do. They are becoming more mechanical and less biological.

I have more. I'll type it out later.

ºTracer
    o_O

3. A fucking massive clock tower, where you can get in it and climb on the cogs and stuff!!! Then, you also have the opportunity to make Time puzzles! and it would be really cool if you could manipulate time with it, like slowing it down and stuff!

What sort of release is it? freeware? commercial? is it a small home project or a game companies fully blown big budgetted project?

4. Originally posted by TracerBullet
    I always come up with loactions like these among others.

Usually it comes from listening to music. For this - I would first recommend you go out an buy Vangelis' Mythodeia.

I usually model futureistic things from existing Planets and Moons (especially Moons, there are some fantastic ones in the solar system). I had an Idea for a loacle called 'St. Noir' which used to be my user location here. My idea for it was on Europa (Frozen Wattery moon of Jupiter). A kinda of 1920's style big and tall city reaching from high above the surface to under the thick frozen water crust to a subteranian ocean illuminated by huge pillars of irridesenct bacteria that sentient marine life feeds off of. That is warmed by volcanic vents and a radioactive sea floor. The city itself is like said - 1920's in style, but clearly advanced and futureisitc. Jupiter and Io (Jupiter's 2nd Largest moon and proximate to Europa) in the sky. Buildings are very tall and the surface areas are terraced but overlapping (think Blade Runner). In orbit above it are numerous space-stations. Some strike me as very utilitarian while others as old and now very seedy. How would you imagine the Outer Solar systems Largest city within this style? Listen to some cool Trance infused Jazz and think on it. I'll bet you can come up with some vivid imaginitive recounts of the place. This is called Saint Noir because the French phrase (over used and over mocked) Sacré Bleu means "Sacred Blue" refering to the sky. Noir is french for Black and while Sacré Noir might make more sence, Saint and Sacred are moreorless the same thing in French. Saint Noir is the name and I rather like it.

While listening to Vangelis I think of ruins, millions of years old but still standing resting low on the surface of Mars. The looks of an old civilization long past (perhaps like a fusion of Greek and Egyptian and something altogether diffrent). The ruins lead deep below ground to a gateway near it you hear a low pitched humm. Almost a rumbling. What's beyond it? Take a listen to Vangelis' Mythodea and try to imagine for yourself.

The large Asteroid Iona sits far from pretty much anything (barring Mars' 2 mini moons) in the asteroid belt. The margin between the Jovian gas giant and the Sun is almost equidistant. Originally planned to be used as a vessel, the asteroid was moved from it's orbit to a close proximity to Mars. Automated robots were employed to hollow it out and create a neuronium core (made from dense metals mined from Mercury by other machines) to give it greater instead of traditionally spinning it and inverting the surface. After intense mining the asteroid looked like a plastic easter egg parted in the center. The top most portion was most densely habitated by American seperatists who had previously occupied Earth's Antartic region in a simular life support system as is on Iona. The city in the Northeren "Eliptisphere" (being eliptical.. I made up that word to suit my needs) looks naturally formed. Looking like Post Modern american cities but in close twine with a rugged and (atirficially) carved green and lush landscape with waterfalls, hills and mountians under a bright sun and black sky. Though it is in it's own Oribit, it's mroeorless in sync with the revolution of mars around the sun. It perpetually hangs low in the Northren sky 2/3's of the year. The north is ringed with a fairly deep sea all the way around. This is water pulled from Mars' frozen poles. The cities on the northren half also leads under ground till it reaches the unusual equator region. The equator has 1/3rd the circumfrence of the 2 halves and is much like a "wagon-wheel" space station. Incoming and outgoing celestial traffic comes and goes through this region. It's the maintenence base and the government base. Very blank looking, I imagine it something like Cosmic Smash as far as appearaces go, or maybe like the Camino Cloning facility in SW Episode II. The South is more or less like the north. On that note - day's are 24 hrs. long, but solar days are roughly 6 months and a full revolution of the sun is 12.2 months. Like the earths polar regions in other words. The people there refer to themselves as Meta Man or Meta Human. They are human with a genetic alteration, that being a independant organ near the kidneys that generates a silicon based white bloodcell that operates independantly of regular blood cells. These are called smart cells. They repair damage done to the bidy quickly cause by violence, disease or decay. Thier life spans are generally longer, but the effect is that the people are becomeing more and more silicon based (naturally) than carbon. "Trouble" Organs like Lungs, Livers and Hearts (especially) are being transformed on the genetic level over many years to become more solid and less prone to disease and age but, instances of malfunction have been on the rise. They face a new and unusally epidemic. Thier bodies can no longer live w/o but they are losing control over what the smart cells do and do not do. They are becoming more mechanical and less biological.

I have more. I'll type it out later.

ºTracer
    Beyond a location description, I think you need to give us a story here.
    "Tick-tock"

5. I'm sorry, all of my suggestions are already patented.

6. Originally posted by arjue
    What sort of release is it? freeware? commercial? is it a small home project or a game companies fully blown big budgetted project?
    About a $5 million dollar project, give or take a few million. Know any VC's?

I've gotta finish the design doc first though, will probably take another year or two, so I'm not really in a hurry
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact

7. Originally posted by taloony
    Beyond a location description, I think you need to give us a story here.
    3 stories actually - I'm full of them and I've written only one (not listed here).

The one I did write that I am proud of was comical... and it bore the Great Hall of Rooms, the Restroom of Everlasting Peace, The Great Hall for Fun, a Pez Dispenser collection, a bustling sub-division fgor recluses and a MOONWALK! Giant Baby may not make the final edit.. perchance I'll upload it?

ºTracer
    (Though it's part of series - and one might not be familiar with the characters, the text assumes you are)

EDIT - This was the series The USA Network considered (so they say) but rejected. Thier loss.

EDIT - WINNAR... It was still in my email. Station82o typed it for me a while back... it may or may not be very rough... but keep in mind - It assumes you're aware of the characters. Basiclly, you're dealing with the Pope and a Cardinal being superheroes.

http://www.boomspeed.com/fermat/Popeman5.doc
    o_O