Thread: The E! True Hollywodd Story: The Dark Side of the Little Rascals

1. The E! True Hollywodd Story: The Dark Side of the Little Rascals

I'm not much of a Rascals fan, liked 'em quite a bit when I was a lot younger but like many things it hasn't aged well. Stooges will always be the kings. Anyways saw this on E! online, I knew the Rascals had rough lives but I didn't know one of them was viciously murdered in the desert this past summer also! O_o And of course there's the whole Robert Blake thing. Man, the entertainment industry can be a real ghoul factory. Anyways, a new E! True Hollywood special tomorrow, I'll be going to enjoy my friends' band gig and will happily skip this misery.

Kids Aren't All Right: The Many Hard, Strange Deaths of the Little Rascals

Premieres: Sun., Nov. 24, 8 p.m.
    Encores: Nov. 24, 11 p.m.; Nov. 30, 8 p.m.

They should have known something was wrong when, in 1930, Pete the pup was found mysteriously poisoned. The death of the popular sidekick on the Our Gang films--known later on television as The Little Rascals--should have signaled more trouble ahead. In the coming decades, many of the adorable kids cast in the movies would grow up to know only tragedy, freakish ends, weird illness and wrecked lives.

In this classic E! True Hollywood Story: Curse of the Little Rascals, premiering November 24, you'll see how so many of the tykes, who began as Rascals, learned quickly that childhood--and the fame and innocence that came with it--didn't last.

Producer Hal Roach's vision for a show about regular kids acting like, well, regular kids hit it big. Between 1922 and 1928, Roach oversaw 88 features, and Darla, Buckwheat, Wheezer and Alfalfa became household ragamuffins. The films continued, and the characters would survive for decades on the small screen, never aging.

Behind the cameras, things weren't so rosy. The lives of the kids were anything but normal and would only get harder. Eight-year-old Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, for one, reigned terror on anyone within spitting distance, and Matthew "Stymie" Beard worked hard just to keep his 13 brothers and sisters fed.

As the rascals aged, few found peace--or anything but disappointment--in adulthood. This Story follows them to their tragic ends, starting with the first--Norman "Chubby" Chaney's strange weight-related death at the age of 18. And just this year, 87-year-old Jay R. Smith (aka Freckles) was found in the desert outside Las Vegas, stabbed to death, robbed and missing several fingers. In between? Everything from a freak mid-air collision to a truck running down a kid on his paper route would take the lives of Gang members.

Meanwhile, fellow Rascals alum Robert Blake sits in jail, accused of killing his wife. This E! True Hollywood Story uncovers the cursed adulthood that awaited America's original former child stars. But first, get a sneak peek with a gallery of photos from the gang's early heydays!

2. Can't wait to see what Maculey Culkin's THS will be like.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Outside of having to sue his parents to get his money, being friends with Jacko the Wacko and a failed early marriage his life has actually been a smooth ride compared to the Rascals. lol

4. "Friends" with Whacko Jacko...
    YIPES

Plus, he has to live with the shame of being the lip-synching kid rapping in an MJ vid.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Man i was, and still a big fan our gang, and little rascal shorts...

I prefered the later group.. the famous one with.. Spanky, Alfala, Buckwheat, and the rest...

6. This E! THS looks interesting. There is no way it will be able to beat the greatest THS of all time though. The one on Corey Haim.. Classic stuff. When they were interviewing him at the end after he had supposedly gotten his life together and he was SO stoned and mumbling and then suddenly breaks out with "EXTRA, EXTRA", I knew that I would never be able to match that moment in time. That and the part where they are showing where he lived, with his mother, and he is showing them what he does with his time and he showed them a crappy painting and then started playing his keyboard on the bed. I almost lost it. He so needs to be stoned and on hollywood squares, lord knows that would top whoopi appearences.

7. I'm so glad Whoopi is off that show.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Allegedly, Macauley Culkin is busy banging Mila Kunis now, so I have no sympathy for the bastard.