Thread: First Pop-Up Ads, now Pop-Up Downloads???

First Pop-Up Ads, now Pop-Up Downloads???

I'm sure many of you have visited a website in which you a window would pop up asking you to download something. Now it's getting worse. Some companies are sneaking their programs on your computer without your permission. Check out the article for details.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-877592.html
    Taking it one day at a time.

2. Gator's been doing this for about a year, in various forms. Basically, the installer loads in the background and suddenly pops up, asking you to install it. If you're not careful, you could wind up with an unwanted program on your computer.

Watch where you surf, and don't patronize any sites that pull this stuff.

3. gator=virus
    real=virus

they are the devil

4. ughh i hate this crap...this is why i like my mac...no worries for that machine
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

5. I was looking at SFK's site one day when suddenly BOOM Gator tried to install itself. That upsets me.

I really don't see how companies can do this..Nothing is as bad as Kazaa though. Thats just wrong.
    Play Guitar Hero //

6. Fortunately, Pop Up Stopper Pro seems to block most of these for me, so I rarely worry about it. And Ad Aware keeps 'em cleaned off the computer. So its seldomly a problem for me
    omg TNL epics!

7. I use Ad-Aware and also a pop-up killer called POW! by AnalogX ( www.analogx.com ). If you get a pop-up, you rightclick POW! in the task bar to add the popup to its kill list. POW! then snuffs out the offender immediately and will kill it on sight next time. You can even use wildcards in popup names as well.

8. Of course you can always use an alternative browser
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

Go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Then disable Install On Demand. That helps some. Also, you can download Opera or Netscape. I'm not sure if it's a problem for those browsers or not though.
    Taking it one day at a time.

Of course you can always use an alternative browser
    Or I could just punch myself in the nuts and save myself the trouble...