Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Nick Rox of Gamefan?

1. Whatever happened to Nick Rox of Gamefan?

I was reading the Snatcher review in Santaro's sig and I saw that is was written by none other than Nick Rox. Whatever happened to that guy? Anyone remember the Street Fighter Alpha controversy he started up? He gave the PS version of SFA a higher rating than the Saturn version becuase of the SHADOWS, nevermind the fact the Saturn version controlled better and was closer to the arcade in all other respects. His shadows debacle caused his downfall from what I remember... so what ever happened to him? Did he go on to write for anybody else after Gamefan?
    XBox Live Tag: Opa Opa

Didn't he have a hand in translating some games like Valkyrie Profile?

I think Shidoshi said Nick is trying to become an actor or something.

3. Re: Whatever happened to Nick Rox of Gamefan?

Originally posted by Alex Kidd
    I was reading the Snatcher review in Santaro's sig and I saw that is was written by none other than Nick Rox. Whatever happened to that guy? Anyone remember the Street Fighter Alpha controversy he started up? He gave the PS version of SFA a higher rating than the Saturn version becuase of the SHADOWS, nevermind the fact the Saturn version controlled better and was closer to the arcade in all other respects. His shadows debacle caused his downfall from what I remember... so what ever happened to him? Did he go on to write for anybody else after Gamefan?
    And let's not forget how the Saturn version DID have the original blue shadows...when you listened to the original arcade music rather than the alternative soundtrack. I mean, if one was looking for arcade perfection, they wouldn't be bothering with an alternative soundtrack in the first place, right? RIGHT?

Yeah, that one's been boiling inside of me for several years now. You can all carry on with your forum browsing.

4. Folks, they redid the review later when it was revealed that their version of SFA was "reviewable" but not the final product.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Originally posted by Jeremy
    Folks, they redid the review later when it was revealed that their version of SFA was "reviewable" but not the final product.
    Did they actually re-review the game, or did they just say "oops, we fucked up, but the scores are the still the same." I don't recall them giving it new scores. Maybe I'm wrong.

6. I think they just mentioned it in the opening editorial section. They may have redone the review, like they did with Night Warriors.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. Personally, I think they just didn't bother to play with the Saturn version much and that whole "reviewable copy" thing was bullshit. Hell, the Saturn one had larger character sprites than the PS version, too. You would think someone as anal as Nick Rox would have noticed something like that if he had spent more than twenty minutes with the Saturn version of the game.

Though I do give them kudos (heh) for increasing Nightwarriors' score. I mean, that code or whatever that unlocked a whole bunch of extra crap (like the original Darkstalkers backgrounds) really did add a lot to the game.

8. Last time I saw him do anything was when he was supplying Thegia.com with info and news every so often. Now that they're gone I dunno what he's up to.

9. Even if his reviews are questionable, you can't deny that his layouts are badass.

10. The acting news is the latest I heard too.

Apparently, the dude on the right is him.