Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here use progressive scan with unofficial GC VGA cables?

1. Originally posted by Shin Johnpv
    Omega for the TV to support progressive scan games it needs to be an HDTV
    Um... so if a regular CRT TV doesn't support 480p (or whatever the lowest prog scan thingie is), what would those games look like through component inputs? Just a nice, sharp picture in 320x240?

2. Originally posted by OmegaFlareX
    Um... so if a regular CRT TV doesn't support 480p (or whatever the lowest prog scan thingie is), what would those games look like through component inputs? Just a nice, sharp picture in 320x240?
    its not really 320 x 240

its still 640 x 480 just interlaced which means instead of showing a full frame at once it shows alternating lines

so one frame will show the even fields then the odd ones (which technically is 320 x 240 lines but the image when rendered by the console is 640 x 480)

what progressive scan does is show the full image instead of interlacing it

and games through componet still look soooo much better than through say Composite or S-Video
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Originally posted by Matt
    I've made several of the Gamecube VGA cables, including one for myself. I'll vouch for their quality - the picture you get looks fantastic!
    I'll keep your GC VGA cables in mind for the future. You're the man!

4. Originally posted by Shin Johnpv
    its not really 320 x 240

its still 640 x 480 just interlaced which means instead of showing a full frame at once it shows alternating lines

so one frame will show the even fields then the odd ones (which technically is 320 x 240 lines but the image when rendered by the console is 640 x 480)

what progressive scan does is show the full image instead of interlacing it

and games through componet still look soooo much better than through say Composite or S-Video
    Ahh! Makes perfect sense now. Thank you, sir. One more unanswered question, though (and then I'll shut up)... how much picture will I lose in progressive scan games if the TV only has 600 lines of horizontal res? Would it be worth spending that extra $70 to get 650?

5. Originally posted by 88mph
    These are words to live by... Fuck upscanning.
    Upscanning itself isn't a bad thing... It's the "cheap" and "composite" parts that suck.

how much picture will I lose in progressive scan games if the TV only has 600 lines of horizontal res? Would it be worth spending that extra $70 to get 650?
    "Horizontal resolution" is pretty much meaningless. The scanrate only determines how many vertical lines the monitor will display. Horizontally, you can have an essentially infinite number of pixels, limited only by the dot pitch of the tube. Your best bet for deciding between the two would be to look at them in the shop and decide which one looks better.

I'll keep your GC VGA cables in mind for the future. You're the man!
    Sure, send me an e-mail if you want to get one! I could make hookups for your Amiga monitor for non-progressive games, too

- Matt