Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use progressive scan with unofficial GC VGA cables?

1. Anyone here use progressive scan with unofficial GC VGA cables?

If I can get true GC progressive scan from my VGA using unofficial cables I'll get 'em.

2. i have one, myself. very close to dreamcast vga quality. metroid looks fantastic, as does any other game that supports progressive scan.

3. Resident Evil supports progressive scan, right?

That must look so fucking cool if it does

4. Originally posted by SXA
    Resident Evil supports progressive scan, right?
    oddly enough, resident evil 1 and 0 are among the few high-profile games that don't support progressive scan. super monkey ball 1 is another.

5. Damn, I could've sworn I read that somewhere.

Oh well, must have read it wrong or something. It's not like the graphics in RE0 and 1 aren't good enough anyways

6. Originally posted by epmode
    i have one, myself. very close to dreamcast vga quality. metroid looks fantastic, as does any other game that supports progressive scan.
    But not true VGA quality, huh? I imagine the cables do some sort of trick to get it to work. Dumb Nintendo, why couldn't they have just supported VGA?

7. Since my question in the TV topic will likely never be answered...

Does a TV with component input have to have at least 640 lines of horizontal res to take full advantage of progressive scan games? What would it look like if the TV only had, say, 600 lines?

I'm basically trying to find out if paying an extra $100 for 50 more lines of horizontal resolution is justified.

8. Omega for the TV to support progressive scan games it needs to be an HDTV

check to see if the tv is HDTV normally if its only 100 bucks more id say its not
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. I've made several of the Gamecube VGA cables, including one for myself. I'll vouch for their quality - the picture you get looks fantastic! It's easily as good as the DC VGA box, and since the Gamecube is so much more powerful anyhow, GC games running in VGA look a heck of a lot more impressive than the DC ones did

The Gamecube component cable actually contains a D/A converter chip, which converts the GC's digital video out signal to analog YPrPb. However, the chip Nintendo uses can also output RGB, and it's just a matter of changing the voltage on one pin to switch it into RGB mode. Therefore, when you enable progressiv mode, the games run at 30khz RGB, which is VGA. It's not some kind of crap converted signal like most VGA boxes use these days.

What's more, non-progressive games will still run in RGB, but at 15khz instead of 30. So, if you have an RGB monitor (or an XRGB), you can play non-progressive games as well as progressive ones. It's just a matter of building an adapter that reroutes the RGB signals from the VGA connector to your monitor.

Whatever you do, don't buy a 3rd-party VGA box! Make sure it's a real Nintendo component cable that's been modded to work with the GC. Knockoff VGA boxes are just composite to VGA upscanners and all around suck.

- Matt

Originally posted by Matt
    Knockoff VGA boxes are just composite to VGA upscanners and all around suck.
    These are words to live by... Fuck upscanning.