Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Canadian Discount Thread

1. Originally posted by StriderKyo

just be sure to bring someone who speaks Cantonese so you don't get overcharged, heh.
    Also, I'd like to add that if you're black, bringing someone with you who's Cantonese is a must (dirty looks abound)!

That gaming place on Young and Bloor sells PCE titles? Fuck! Where are they hiding them cuz I can't find shit?

2. Originally posted by Briscobold

That gaming place on Young and Bloor sells PCE titles? Fuck! Where are they hiding them cuz I can't find shit?
    Not really. For Turbografx, Saturn, Master System, Game Gear, Lynx, they've got jack. They've got a fair sized NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GB and PS1 collection, though. OCcasionally you can find some reptty rare stuff in there.

But for current stuff, they're awesome. Anything new that comes out, wait 2 weeks and they'll have it for $40-45 used. And they have alot of really good deals on overproduced or best-selling stuff - they had MGS2 new for $25 well before it went greatest hits, they were selling Gran Turismo 3 for $15 this summer, they've got a bunch of GC titles at around the same price.

But basically, as near as I can tell nothing's cheap in Canada - all those Best Buy deals I keep reading about on here are nonexistant, and EB never discounts anything worthwhile.
    -Kyo

3. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    Not really. For Turbografx, Saturn, Master System, Game Gear, Lynx, they've got jack. They've got a fair sized NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GB and PS1 collection, though. OCcasionally you can find some reptty rare stuff in there.
    That's exactly what I thought. Someone earlier said otherwise, so I thought I'd double check.

They do have free (old) magazines (you know,; for collecting).

They also have surly employees, but that's another story.

4. Originally posted by Briscobold

They also have surly employees, but that's another story.
    Really? Whenever I've been in there, the've just had quiet, nerdy types. The owner is actually one of the nicest guys I've run across - he's given me some really favourable trade in deals over the years, and he doesn't mind going out of his way to order hard to find things.
    -Kyo

5. Maybe I catch them on bad days. They seem all angry and shit when I'm there. Probably because I'm rummaging through their old smelly magazines. Maybe they know me as "Smelly Magazine Guy" and avoid me like the plague. I don't know. It's like Pacific Mall up in there sometimes...

6. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    But basically, as near as I can tell nothing's cheap in Canada - all those Best Buy deals I keep reading about on here are nonexistant, and EB never discounts anything worthwhile.
    I know from living in NJ that EB is just as bad on both sides of the border. They hardly ever discount anything and even the used game prices are criminally obscene.

The main thing I miss is Circuit City. They would always have excellent deals on brand new games where they'd be $10-20 off. Also, when they would clear out stock you could get a lot of super cheap games. I bought a lot of $10 DC and $20 GBA games there last year. In Canada there does not seem to be an equivilent. The major stores like Futureshop just sit on software at full price forever. The Futureshop in Montréal still has full price lousy Dreamcast games for crying out loud.... Futureshop does have occasional repackaged software in those discount blister packs for $30c.. but as far as I can tell there is nothing decent in them.

Zellers occasionally has good deals and they have a surprisingly decent selection... I always forget to check there though.

Someone needs to open up really good Canadian online store with a full selection of imports and domestic games with good prices. I think they'd make a killing due to lack of competition. If I had the money and the time to invest in it and didn't want to get tied down to it I would do it.... ah well...

7. EB has Final Fantasy Tactics for like 19.99! That's a deal if I ever heard it! The EBs where I live have surly clerks. They're always stupid girls who are snobs or on a power trip.

The one in Oshawa Town Centre is a fat bitch who is a loud mouth and can't do anything right. She almost fucked up my Zelda Master Quest pre-order! Bitch! And the girl in Pickering Town Centre is an imbecile! She told me I didn't have a pre-buy for the Sims Online (for my sister for christmas) and I gave her the reciet and she was all flushed. She also told me Powerstone 2 was discontinued the Friday of its release. She also told my friend that they didn't lose his Mario squirt gun, but that he didn't come within 48 hours to pick it up.

He told her to shut the fuck up, bitch and that he was done talking to her. She was shocked and the other clerk was really nice to him and was holding back laughter, lol.

Ahh, good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Originally posted by Andrew
    EB has Final Fantasy Tactics for like 19.99! That's a deal if I ever heard it! The EBs where I live have surly clerks. They're always stupid girls who are snobs or on a power trip.

The one in Oshawa Town Centre is a fat bitch who is a loud mouth and can't do anything right. She almost fucked up my Zelda Master Quest pre-order! Bitch! And the girl in Pickering Town Centre is an imbecile! She told me I didn't have a pre-buy for the Sims Online (for my sister for christmas) and I gave her the reciet and she was all flushed. She also told me Powerstone 2 was discontinued the Friday of its release. She also told my friend that they didn't lose his Mario squirt gun, but that he didn't come within 48 hours to pick it up.

He told her to shut the fuck up, bitch and that he was done talking to her. She was shocked and the other clerk was really nice to him and was holding back laughter, lol.

Ahh, good times.

Holy shit!!! I think I know who you are!!! Holy Shit.

The girl in Pickering... is she the white chick with brown hair?

Hey about the toy gun: we got short shipped. Tons o' bitches came in complaining about how they wanted the squirt gun. Sorry dude but it was first come first serve.

I think I rememeber her complaining about you (guys) to me awhile back.

This is fucking hilarious.

BTW, I'm surly too.

The chick in Oshawa: does she have glasses?

I find it funny how you had an issue with the one person who bends over backwards to help people and never had to encounter the truly surly morons. Still... this is hilarious.

9. Originally posted by Briscobold
    That was several years ago, back when PCE/TG16 stuff was still floating around used. These days, they almost never get it

Their service can be a mixed bag. Usually they're very good and helpful, but sometimes they can do weird stuff. Some of the employees (the white guys usually) are a bit freaky sometimes.

- Matt

10. Originally posted by Briscobold

Holy shit!!! I think I know who you are!!! Holy Shit.

The girl in Pickering... is she the white chick with brown hair?

Hey about the toy gun: we got short shipped. Tons o' bitches came in complaining about how they wanted the squirt gun. Sorry dude but it was first come first serve.

I think I rememeber her complaining about you (guys) to me awhile back.

This is fucking hilarious.

BTW, I'm surly too.

The chick in Oshawa: does she have glasses?

I find it funny how you had an issue with the one person who bends over backwards to help people and never had to encounter the truly surly morons. Still... this is hilarious.
    Actually for the most part the girl in Oshawa has been really nice so it may be that she didn't know or was having a bad day, etc. The girl in Pickering is consistently mean to my friends, but I've never had an open confrontation with her.

My friend was the guy who said shut up bitch or something. He doesn't usually do that but she was being very rude. I mean, saying he's lying when he wasn't is pathetic. Especially since he shops there frequently and did get screwed out of it.

He was pre-ordering Zelda at Pickering (I usually go to Oshawa because my brother works in HMV in Oshawa) and he said that they have to assure him a copy of Master Quest because they screwed him out of his water gun. He said it was no big deal because it was a dinky toy, but he is doing this specifically for master quest.

I'd understand if it was like the girl with glasses who is usually nice and how people have occasional bad moods or days, but not when it's so consistent like the girl in Pickering does.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."