Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Design Effective Achievements

How To Design Effective Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by Gamasutra
    In this first in a new series of articles, PhD researcher and game designer Lucas Blair uses academic research to formulate best practices for designing in-game achievements.
    The Cake Is Not a Lie: How to Design Effective Achievements

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet, but this is a really interesting concept.

2. Avatar is the most effective. Get them all in 2 minutes and forget they ever existed.

3. I don't see why there needs to be a design philosophy behind achievements. They're a relatively new thing, and have as much real life value as your in game high score or fastest level beaten: no one cares but you or the people trying to beat your score. Is it fun when an achievement pops? Sure, I have a base need to quantify everything I do somehow. But enjoying a game, at least for me, comes from actually playing it and messing around, not searching for every hidden document or 100% completing everything (at least not the first time I play it). It definetly is nice to see how much of a game I've conquered vs someone else, but that's just because I'm mildly competitive and part of me gives a shit about having a high score. It's a small part, but that small part thinks the way it's been working so far is just fine.

4. How about some avatar clothing/accessory awards with the achievements? Oh I'm sorry, we all have to stay in lockstep with the "monetize everything" philosophy. We can't be setting a bad example...
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

5. Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post
    How about some avatar clothing/accessory awards with the achievements? Oh I'm sorry, we all have to stay in lockstep with the "monetize everything" philosophy. We can't be setting a bad example...
    There's lots of games that do this, or are you just talking about the article?

6. I know some do, but it seems like the practice isn't widespread. I suspect it's for similar reasons to free DLC being rare.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

7. The only thing I don't like is when you beat a game and end up with 150 points.

8. I really don't understand achievements. Especially the ones that are basically "beat level 3 boss!"

9. Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post
    I know some do, but it seems like the practice isn't widespread. I suspect it's for similar reasons to free DLC being rare.
    I seem to run into them on the 360 a decent amount, but I'm also never looking for them so it's always a surprise to me when I suddenly see that "Avatar Item Unlocked" or whatever it says. I think it's pretty awesome when they do that and it was neat for Halo Reach to have them as achievements-that-weren't-achievements.

But even better is the Project Sylpheed/Mass Effect method of where achievements give you in-game items and bonuses. I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I don't see why there needs to be a design philosophy behind achievements.
    I'd like to agree with that, but there are honestly people out there who base purchasing decisions behind achievements.