Thread: Bootleg DVD on ebay?

1. Bootleg DVD on ebay?

I apologize in advance if this has bee posted already. How is it possible that so many bootleg DVDs have made their way onto ebay?
    I just finished bidding on a Spriggan DVD "from Japan", only to find out that it's not the real deal. Or is it? Does anyone know what the authentic version looks like?

More importantly, how can we identify these fakes in the future? Is there anything specific we can look out for? The SM on game and anime soundtracks is useful. Anything like that?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I want to bid on an Escaflowne movie DVD, but I'm unsure if it's real.

2. Well, Many of HK produced Anime dvds on the Ebay are bootleg, or somewhat official releases. But since they are legal in HK, and I dind hear Japanese companies protesting, Ebay admistration has no problem with them being sold.

I dont mind buying those, since many of the shows, are not even coming to US, or if they do it still migth be a long time. And many shows might not even come to US at all.

For example Bebop movie DVD. There are 2 versions released in HK, both have excellent quality, and and even extras, and they are quite cheap too. US release is pending, but there are still no set date yet.

So what do you do? Get HK dvd to watch it now, and replace it with more legit official US release later, or just sit and wait till US dvd comes out in the future.

I hate waiting, so I will get the HK version now. For other people, its their own decision.

3. i'm afraid of those bootlegged anime DVDs cause i don't know of the quality of the subbing and stuff themselves (which i heard were pretty damn shitty). The packaging is pretty nice though...

4. Well, some of them do have good picture quality, and subbs, and other are just horrendos. You need to look around the net for the info on those. There are few boards related to HK Anime dvd, that I go to to check on info about some titles.

Usually MI(Manga International), FX , or AS are good. But try to avoid AC(Anime Cartoon) since they usually are bad.

5. Unless you have a picture of the official boxart (which you can get with a search), it's kind of hard to tell if you're really getting the real deal.

I myself don't really have a problem with them. Like the poster above me said, I buy HK DVDs until the official version is released here (if it is ever released at all), then I just give the HK copy to my brother or a friend.

6. Originally posted by Despair
    Well, some of them do have good picture quality, and subbs, and other are just horrendos. You need to look around the net for the info on those. There are few boards related to HK Anime dvd, that I go to to check on info about some titles.

Usually MI(Manga International), FX , or AS are good. But try to avoid AC(Anime Cartoon) since they usually are bad.
    links? :P

7. if kintaro oe was here he'd say that the link was very educational :P thanks. now all i need is cash *rolls eyes* can you hook me up with that to? :P

8. Originally posted by Mikhal
    if kintaro oe was here he'd say that the link was very educational :P thanks. now all i need is cash *rolls eyes* can you hook me up with that to? :P
    wouldnt we all want a money tree growing at the back of our house?..so ummmm can i get some too?