Thread: 2002 Movie Year in Review

2002 Movie Year in Review

2002 is coming to a end soon so I thought a thread about this years Movies would be good...

My picks for theatrical Movie releases in 2002 in no special order are:

1. The Ring - I wasn't even planning on seeing it, and had only played the Dramcast game. Loved it, and it was scary and disturbing for me. I'm excited about the posibility of a sequel!

2. Spirited Away - I don't watch as much anime as I'd like to but I thought this Movie was so special and appealing to me, I have to add this to my list.

3. Frailty - What a great Movie, the whole God and angels and all the twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat.

4. Signs - Not as good as the Sixth sense, but what can I say I'm a sucker for Aliens and the unknown, also funnier than I would have guessed.

5. xXx - Though many will disagree I had a fun time with this Vin Diesel action flick and look forward to part 2.

6. Equilbrium - props to Despair for bringing this to my attention and it easily is one of the best action films next to xXx.

7. Goldmember- It isn't deep , but I couldn't help but laugh esp at the sight gags.

8. Spiderman - one of my favorite comic heroes!

9. The Royal Tannenbaums - quirky comedy, that I enjoyed

2002 also had alot of shit to wade thru.

MIB 2 - Awful and worst Movie of the year IMO. First is better.

Biggest Letdowns of 2002

Transporter- Could have been much more

The Tuxedo -my least favorite Chan film

Of course the year has some big ones coming out mainly the Two Towers so it isn't over yet.

2. Two Towers, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can (I think) have yet to come out. Hopefully Spirited Away, The Pianist, and Adaptation will be released here soon.
    I'll defenitly say Attack of the Clones was the biggest letdown.

Forgot about Spike Lee's new movie, it aint out yet either.
    And don't forget The Santa Claus 2!
    pwned by Ivan

3. Korian, You put XXX above Equlibrium? Tsk. Tsk.

Since I'm not a fan of Drama, and prefer Action and Horror films, dont expect to see many critically acclaimed films on my list

Lets start with the Best:

1. Equlibrium - The most exciting movie I seen in years. Good sci-fi story, Jaw Dropping Action scenes, very good performance. This will become one my favorites.

2. Frailty - I was very surprised how good this film was. It wasnt very scary to me, but the story and tension kept me captivated. And great twist at the end.

3. Blade 2 - If not for certain E film, Blade 2 would be my choice of Action film this year. Snipes was great as Blade, action scenes rocked and it had very cool sfx as well.

4. Brotherhood of the Wolf - Excellent French Action Adventure film, that combined action, mystery, horror and period styles in one kick ass package. And it was pleasure to see Mark Dacasscos on the big screen

5. Dog Soldiers - While it didnt play in US theaters, it was everywhere in the world. Great, action packed Werewolf action/horror film, with cool story, very nice and bloody fx, humor that doesnt get in the way of horror. Definately a film horror fans shouldnt miss.

6. Austin Powers in Gold Member - I laughed, and I laughed a lot. Great comedy, for me best in the series, packed with jokes. Some might hate it, some might be dissapointed, but I loved it.

7. Adventures of Pluto Nash - Unlike everyone else, I liked this film. It was very decent action comedy, Eddie Murphu was funny, unlike in I Spy, it was surprisingly very action packed, and we had fun. Too bad it bombed very badly.

8. The Ring - Creepy and disturbing, US version was one very nicely shot and written film. It didnt scare me, but it was very fun nevertheless.

9. Die Another Day - Usually not big of Bond films, but DAD was one of the better Bond movies lately. Lots of cool action scenes(beginning and 2 swordfights were highlights), and overall fun movie.

10. Resident Evil - Again, Many hate it, but I had fun, and cant wait for promised Director's Cut version. Even though it didnt as much gore as everyone hoped for, I liked zombies and action it had. Seeing Milla nekkid was also a plus

11. XXX - Fun, big budgeted Vin Diesel flick. Nice action scenes, likable hero, we had fun, and wont mind catching the sequel.

12. Attack of the Clones - Unlike awful Episode 1, this one was exciting. Cool action scenes, Jango Fett, Yoda fighting, nice SFX, and no annoying little kids, and even minimum of Jar Jar.

Now, Bad Films. Get ready fans since I will speak badly about some of most favorite films of past year

Spiderman - It started great, but later became Power Rangers wanna be. I admit some action scenes were nice, but Awful Green Goblin design, and many stupid scenes in the later half, really spoiled my enjoyment of it. Batman and Blade did much better job.

Minority Report - Lately I hate Spielberg. This film gets all the praise, but I think it full of ridiculous plot holes, that not supposed to even be in such "smart" movie. For action film its too boring and slow, for suspense thriller, its not suspensful enough, and as many will agree with me it overly long, and WTF with unnecessary, tackled on Happy End. Dont care about next Spielberg project either, he can keep Leo boy adventures

3. The Transporter - I was very anticipating it, and then PG13 rating ruined it. What could have been one of the best action films this year, fell short, with bad storyline in later parts of the film. It still watchable, but nowhere as good as I hoped it would be.

4. Man in Black 2 - What a piece of crap. Boring, Unexcinting, and totally Unnecessary. Will Smith was annouying, and trying too much to be funny. Somewhat lame SFX, and boring action scenes. Even comedy bits werent funny. But it still made money at Box Office. Its a fucking shame.

5. Ballistic: Eks VS Sever - It looked really good in the trailer, but the final product fell short. For such an action packed film, most of its action was boring. Characters were pretty cool, and Lucy Loo fight against Ray Park was good, but the rest wasnt. I heard that Warner Bros actually recut the original version director had, to make it more like generic US made action film. Shame. since it could have been better.

6. Bad Company - Another bad action/comedy. Tired plot, boring action scenes, and while some of Criss Rock comedy was funny, I still hated it.

7. Tuxedo - While it had some funny scenes and some fighting was nice, but ridiculous story, stipid bad guys, and lack of good action hurt it. Definately not Jackies best.

I will think of more films to put on my list, and post them later

4. I'm just going to do a run down of the movies I saw in theaters. They are NOT in best to worst order.

1. Orange County - I expected more seeing as this movie had Jack Black but it was a let down.

2. Super Troopers - The first hour or so it just hilarous but it goes down hill after that.

3. Blade 2 - Sweet movie, it is right up there with the original.

4. Star Wars Episode 2 - The Yoda fight scene was the highlight other than that it was better than Episode 1 which isn't saying much.

5. Undercover Brother - Suprisingly funny, worth seeing. When the hell is the DVD coming out?

6. The Bourne Identity - Another suprise movie for me. It could have had a few more fight scenes but it was still a good movie.

7. Minority Report - It had its ups but it mostly had downs. Rental.

8. Men in Black II - Hated it.

9. Austin Powers in Goldmember - Classic Austin Powers. I thought it was going to be stupid since its getting old but it made me laugh, a lot.

10. Signs - Great movie, its rare that a movie makes me jump but this one did.... a few times.

11. Martin Lawrence: runteldat - Funny if you're into stand up comedy.

12. XXX - Some of it was cool, I thought it was going to be better.

13. The Tuxedo - The whole James Brown scene and whatnot was the highlight. Jackie should have stayed away from this movie.

14. Red Dragon - Never seen the Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal so this movie was nothing special to me.

15. The Transporter - Good fight scenes, wish it had more.

16. The Ring - Boring.

17. Jackass: The movie - Laughed the entire movie.

18. I Spy - I think my friend and I were the only ones laughing in the theater. I'm a huge Owen Wilson fan.

19. 8 Mile - Good movie, suprisingly, but the ending sucked.

20. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Right there with the first one, it was enjoyable.

21. Friday After Next - It had it's moments but not as funny as the first two.

22. They - Boring.

23. Treasure Planet - It was so much aimed toward the real younger ones as other Disney movies, I liked it. The whole wind surfing scenes were cool.

24. Equilibrum - Bad ass movie, its an ashame that many people haven't or won't see this. Action movie of the year.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

5. Damn, I did forget about few films I saw, so here they are:

Bourne Identity - This film really surprised me. I wasnt expecting it be very good, but I enjoyed it alot. Mat Damon was very cool in action scenes, and it has some nice action, and story was interesting.

Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets - I enjoyed 2st HP movie, and the sequel was even better. Darker story, cool fx, and some surprisingly scary moments. Even though its pretty long, we enjoyed it.

I Spy - It looked very funny and action packed in the trailer. But trailers can be deceiving. I thought Murphy's character was more obnoxious than funny, and action and story was just generic. Dissapointing.

Ghost Ship - Pretty cool and dark horror film. I loved the Cable Death sequence, and Techo Flashback was great. Solid horror film.

6. To add to my review list of the year...

25. The Santa Clause 2 - Actually found this one funny and enjoyable, go figure.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert