Thread: How do you make this?

1. How do you make this?

I suck at banner-making. I've tried making a banner for my site All Around the Web but that's the best I could come up (see site).
    I've seen many impressive banners involving futuristic themes - multi-dimensioned with cubes, different shapes, vectors, with rich or blurred colors. I don't know how to describe it in detail but you get what I mean.

How do you do those kinds of banners? All I have is Photoshop (and I'm not that good with it).

2. Make a whole bunch of crap on different layers and just slap it together and reduce the opacity for each layer to like 30%. Then move it around, selectively apply blurs, filters and basic Photoshop special effects to it. After that it's just all design sense.

3. Make a whole bunch of crap on different layers - like what??
    Move it around - what do you mean?
    Which filters should I use?

Sorry for the questions but I'm not too keen on Photoshop.
    BlogBoard = http://users.boardnation.com/~ace
    Moderators and staff members needed.

4. I'm assuming you're talking about those pages/banners/graphics where there's all this 'futuristic' stuff going on : shifting color variations, polygonal shapes everywhere, lines going everywhere, interesting shape elements in the background etc etc.

Well, the first thing you need is to be able to create all these separate elements. I mean, it's very hard to visualize and create the whole piece from scratch.

It's so shame in stealing when you're learning. Go find stuff you like and single out elements you really like. Like a shape in the background... or a line arrangement in the foreground ... or specific color gradient... then using it as a reference, create something similar in Photoshop. In some cases, this may mean actually drawing things, in some it may mean taking an image and erasing a background to single out a logo or shape or something..

After you have some elements, you can try to put it together...A trick I've learned from Photoshop is with this trend in design, if you're not sure what to do, is create just lots of elements and then start by layering them and cranking down the opacity to make all of them visible.

Once you have that, just decide if things are working... turn certain things on and off, move a single layer around from place to place to see where you like it, give a layer more or less opacity, more or less blur.

As for filters, it depends very much what you're trying to accomplish. My advice is to buy a Photoshop book specifically dealing with creating quick effects like maybe Photoshop WOW! or Photoshop Down and Dirty Tricks... there's better, but I've used these before and they're fair.

As a general rule though, if you want Blur, try Gaussian Blur first... it's a versatile blur useful for a lot of things.

5. Originally posted by negitoro
    I'm assuming you're talking about those pages/banners/graphics where there's all this 'futuristic' stuff going on : shifting color variations, polygonal shapes everywhere, lines going everywhere, interesting shape elements in the background etc etc.
    Yes, that's exactly what I have in mind. When I try to just stick any elements together, I end up with something that looks loud and tacky.

6. Which is why you need to check out what other people do... why you feel they 'work'... I mean, building this stuff is mainly about developing your design sense until you can figure out what looks good or not instinctively... before you can do that, you gotta figure out why yours is 'tacky and loud' and theirs is 'cool'.

Have you tried turning the opacity down, etc yet ?