Thread: myocardial infarctions and World Cup football

1. myocardial infarctions and World Cup football

wtf...

LONDON (Reuters) - British scientists have found medical evidence of something every football fan already knows -- penalty shoot-outs are literally heart-stoppers.

The British Medical Journal said that researchers who studied England's 1998 World Cup soccer matches found that heart attacks increased by 25 percent when England lost to Argentina after a gripping penalty shoot-out.

"These findings support the view that heart attacks can be triggered by emotional upset, such as watching your football team lose an important match -- particularly those in which there is a penalty shoot-out," the journal said in a statement.

Researchers from the University of Bristol and University of Birmingham said that football fans would have experienced a fair amount of tension before and during the England-Argentina match -- both because matches between the two countries always produced intense rivalry and it was a shoot-out.

The researchers examined hospital admissions for heart attack, stroke, deliberate self-harm and road traffic injuries on the day of and five days after, England's World Cup matches, compared with admissions at the same time in previous and following years and in the month before the tournament.

They found that the risk of admission for heart attacks increased by 25 percent on June 30 -- the day of the England-Argentina match -- and the following two days. Admissions were higher among men than women.

But no extra admissions were noted for any of the other medical conditions.

The researchers suggested that, in the interests of public health, the penalty shoot-out should be abandoned.

http://rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/fc/hea.../325/7378/1439

2. If that's true, then that's really dumb. I can't believe how worked up people get about sports. It's not like having your team win does anything for you.

Originally posted by Apokryphos
    If that's true, then that's really dumb. I can't believe how worked up people get about sports. It's not like having your team win does anything for you.
    You've never been to a bar while the home team is playing have you?

4. I bet it's because, in soccer, the goals come so very seldom. When a team finally DOES score, you're so surprised that you have a coronary.

5. thats.. odd.. heart pounding losses... always light me up.. with tons of cussing, and kicking..and looking at the closeset thing to break...

GOD DAMN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!! grr.......