Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 414161718

Thread: Movies you have seen lately

1. Originally posted by Sqoon
    Zoolander - Still sucks, even with more friends and alcohol. (D)
    BOO!

I've watched Zoolander so many times that just hearing Owen Wilsons vernacular cracks me up. It gets better with every viewing. Note the obscure zoolander quote in my status.

The Lady's Man - I think it was based off a SNL skit, and wasn't very funny at all. The brilliant Will Farrel wasn't even enough to save this slop (though he was very funny). 3/10

2. Saw Dreamcatcher and liked it, but it pales in compairison to the book. Huge chunks were taken out and a lot of the characters suffer because of it. And they made the ending really fucking stupid.

I'd like to check out Phone Booth next. I've heard nothing but good things and the concept facinates me. I'm amazed Shumocker is behind it too.

I've been meaning to watch Battle Royale again. I have the book on order too.

3. No Ichabod, I have not seen them, and going through eDonkey means at least a good fucking week of waiting to get them (there's a lot of good shit on that network, its just so slow). Hopefully one day... while Im not challenging your opinion, I dont see how either of those can be better than Raise the Red Lantern.
    The thing with Zhang Yimou movies is that he has multiple styles. Movies like Raise The Red Lantern or Ju Dou are in one category, while movies like Not One Less or Story of Qiu Jiu are in another. And I guess Hero has created a new category for the man .

By the way, if you don't want to wait it out on eDonkey, just look for his movies at Blockbuster or the library. They are surprisingly well-spread, and I've never had to resort to downloading.

Yi Yi - This is a thoughtful and sweet family-oriented movie. I really liked it. The movie centers on a single family and the problems they go through... each member of the family is going through something, and it tries to give ample time to all of them... this is accomplished, mostly. The movie is three hours long, but it's very captivating and many of the tales are engrossing.

Yi yi is a mature, thoughtful movie... it lacks the emotional ka-plow of movies like Magnolia or American Beauty. It's sad, engrossing, but it doesn't really have the emotional or spiritual firepower to make it a classic. However, I give it a lot of credit, because it feels real, which neither of the aforementioned films do... there's very little poetic license at work. All of the things that happen in the movie not only can happen to many families, but do. The fact that Yi yi accomplishes this is a very good thing. Rating: *** 1/2
    Yi Yi is one of my favorite movies of all time. It hit me on a much deeper and more subtle level than any movie ever has. Edward Yang's style of long-shots makes it one of the most visually pleasing movies I can think of as well. Thinking back on my reaction to this movie when I first saw it makes me shudder... Watching it again takes me back to a mind-set about life that I used to have and that I am trying to get to again.
    God is Rome

4. Master of Disguise
    8 mile
    End of Days
    Pitch Black