Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you have seen lately

1. Movies you have seen lately

I'd revive the old thread, but its been cleared from the forum history. Basically, post about movies you have seen recently, old or new.

NOTE: Unlike many places, in my overall scores, 5 means that its an average movie, which really isn't a bad score.

Office Space- I was at the video shop when I saw the cover for this movie, when I realised I hadn't seen it, so I got it. It totally lives up to the hype. Its fucking great, though gets weaker towards the end. 9/10

Resident Evil - FINALLY released for rental here, and available for purchase in april '03 -_-. I love this movie, and the DVD has a great Audio commentary by Paul Anderson, Michelle Rodriguez, Milla Jovovich, and one of the producers (can't remember his name). 7/10

Mean Machine - Written by the same guy who wrote Snatch and Lock Stock, though Directed by someone else. I thought this movie would be pretty crap, but to my suprise it was actually good. Its about a soccer game being held by a prison between tthe Guards and the Cons. Some pretty fucking funny bits in it, with a great cast. 6/10

Cecil B Demented- This film can be summed up in 2 words. Fucked up. Its kind of hard to explain, but basically its about a group of movie terrorists. Its very funny, and doubly wierd. 7/10

Orange County- I remember hearing this movie was good, so I was dissappointed to find out that its a basic comedy with a moral. Some funny bits, but overall tiring. 3/10

Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness- the first 3 fifths are fucking supurb, the next fifth totally sucks, and the last fifth is awesome. Ash truly is the king. 8/10

2. I've been meaning to revive this thread, since its been a while, but good to see you beat me to it

Ok, What have I watched lately:

In theaters:

LOTR Two Towers - Great fantasy epic, with good drama and action. Bit too slow in parts, but good nevertheless.

Treasure Planet - Disney retelling of Treasure Island. It started good, and I liked the style, but the ending with all the goodie/happy things was bad. Dissapointing.

DVD:

51st State - Pretty good crime movie. Samuel Jakson is good as usual, and it was moving pretty fast. Not very action packed, but good and stylish direction by Ronnie Yu.

Riders - French/Canadian action film, avout group of extreme-sports fans robbing banks. Some very nice stunts, but overall just decent.

Le Boulet - French Action/Comedy. About adventures of escaped convict and his prison guard in Africa, in search of winning Lottery ticked. Some nice action scenes and humor.

Asterix and Obelisk VS Cesar - French fantasy comedy. Some funny moments and decent use of sfx.

3. The Bicycle Thief - An incredible, heartrending movie. Excellent pacing keeps a basic story with only two main characters from being overplayed. I'm going to watch De Sica's The Children Are Watching Us and Umberto D. soon though I can only dream that it matches up to this one. (Grade: A)

The Hour of the Wolf - A great film but definitely nowhere near The Seventh Seal, the other Bergman film I've seen. It gets too art house, even for my tastes, towards the end but the movie quickly finishes (without appearing to be rushed) before Bergman topples himself over. (B+)

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - A refreshing jolt of energy but is probably the kind of movie that makes dilettantes hate musicals or foreign movies. Remy focuses too much on characters that eventually turn out evil or shallow and too little time on characters that suddenly become important so there's no emotional depth to anyone. But still, every word of dialogue is sung! (B-)

A Christmas Story - I was on a movie kick and this damn mess ruined it. Touted as some kind of holiday masterpiece by practically everyone, I was disappointed to see some conventional nonsense with a narrator that sounds like Adam West at his most salacious. Granted, I only saw 40 minutes of it before I turned it off but if you have to sit through 40 minutes of this before it gets to any prospects of good, it is definitely not a classic. (D)

4. LOTR Two Towers - Great film. I thought the battle scenes were excellent and the film's pacing was very good. The movie did not seem like 3 hours to me.
    Mr. Deeds - Worth the rental. Some funny scenes, other than that it was completely average.

The Sweetest Thing- lot's of semen and blowjob jokes and some references to glory holes and such. Anyways Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate star in this comedy about finding Mr right. A very short comedy with its moments apparently there is a racier version. Lots of Cameran Diaz shaking her ass in her underwear though. 5/10

Murder by Numbers- This Movie is dull and has no surprises in in, I like Sandra Bullock but this recent film is not good with some horrible blue screen effects. Coulda been so much more given the premise. 2/10

6. Police Story - Some great jackie chan action spoiled by a fucking awful dub. 6/10

7. Oh, Police Story, that Jackie's Classic film

Sorry to say, but I hated Mr.Deeds, pointless and unfunny, with stupid moral of the day at the end. I wish I saved my $3 when I rented that.

Lord of the Rings: TT - Awesome stuff but I think I like Fellowship a bit more.

Bollywood Hollywood - Good comedy that makes fun of East Indian culture and Hindi movies.

The Experiment - Great German film about an interesting psychology experiment.

Spirited Away - I love the art and the extreme weirdness.

Empire - It's good but the previews show half the movie.

9. Dances with Wolves -- Really great movie. Balance of action and story, alot of deep stuff in here, and it was interesting to see a display of what went down, back when. I also liked the progression parts.

Star Trek: Nemesis -- Contains two of the most devious villains I've seen in awhile. This movie was really well done -- not for a Star Trek movie -- for a MOVIE. The little chess-like battle Piccard had going on with himself was marvelous! (yes..... marvelous... ok maybe that word isn't right for describing it. Or maybe it's not right for describing anything.)

Lord of the Ring - The Two Towers -- Do I need to even go into this? All 3 movies were made at the same time, number two is the hardest one to have made. Less deep thought and happenings, more action. The book takes the easy way out, having Aragorn in 1/2 and Frodos quest in 1/2 the other. The movie juggles them away in a nice transition. Very well done.

I'm hoping to see Treasure Planet. If not for the animation alone... well...... that's really all I am intrigued by.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Well, I still dont agree that Two Towers was THAT action packed, since it was more like 70% Character development and 30% action.

As for Treasure Planet, keep your expectation low, especially if you familiar with original book, and hate usual Disney sugar coating of things.