Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Place for a New RPG Player to Start

Best Place for a New RPG Player to Start

Mrs. Yoshi has recently shown interest in giving the RPG genre a shot. Up to this point, she has pretty much exclusively played console-style adventure games like Tomb Raider and PC-style adventure games like Gabriel Knight.

I wanted to get the board's opinion on what game is the best place to start. The best choice would be easily accessible for someone unfamiliar with the genre, but it should also have up-to-date graphics, as I don't want her to be turned off by the look alone. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Suikdoen

best RPG series, if she can't get into them she won't like RPGs.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

3. Grandia II might be a good starting point. Not overly complicated, but not overly simple, and pretty easy. Or maybe something like Seiken Densetsu 3,

4. Dark Cloud's worth at least a look. Certainly no classic, but still a fairly easy to get into, mildly Zelda-esque, and unique RPG with its own charm.

5. Final Fantasy X without a doubt.

Graphics - Check
    Sound - Check
    Very smooth learning curve - Check

It also does the best out of just about any RPG of really explaining how to play the game, which will be good if you're just getting into the genre.

6. FF7 on PSX is easy to pick up and my favorite since FF2.....

7. Persona :Eternal Punishment...if she likes Lovecraftish stories.

8. Come on now - everyone knows that Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is the "Beginner's RPG".

-Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

9. Well, Here are few choices for her:

I know that you not big of FF series Yoshi , but she could have give a try to FFX, which is very good game.

Suikoden series is also very good, with great storyline, lots of characters and things to do.

Shadow Hearts - If she likes darker stories, give this a try. Mix of horror and rpg, with cool characters, and interesting story.

Valkyrie Profile - Cool rpg based on North Mythology, with awesome 2D graphics, and good story.

10. Originally posted by xS
    Persona :Eternal Punishment...if she likes Lovecraftish stories.
    Originally posted by Yoshi
    The best choice would be easily accessible for someone unfamiliar with the genre, but it should also have up-to-date graphics, as I don't want her to be turned off by the look alone.
    Even if you loved the theme, I think either of the Persona games released here would be a tough pill to swallow if you're stil coming to terms with the genre.