Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ziff-Davis to bring out another gaming magazine.

1. Originally posted by BEBOPlover
    Ziff is responsible for XBN which is a kick-ass magazine. Easily the best on the market. Too bad it only comes out 6 times a year.

This new mag. does sound craptacular. Oh well...

Care to share those reasons? Please don't say they're bias without ever having read an issue. XBN is fantastic.

Well, I generally own all the major systems so buying or subscribing to a magazine that caters to 1 system only is a bad idea in general for me..

You generally dont get an idea for which version is the best if the game is cross platform.

In some magazines in the past they would be biased and make childish fanboy remarks towards the competitors of the console they are based around.

Another reason is I then feel the need to purchase 2-3 seperate magazines to cover each system.

Or subscribe; as I never buy them at the stores due to the extreme prices they tend to run because they generally come with demo cd/dvd's.

Regardless if everyone feels that its the best mag around these days ill check it out, perhaps ill like it..

2. Originally posted by JMET
    Well, I generally own all the major systems so buying or subscribing to a magazine that caters to 1 system only is a bad idea in general for me..

You generally dont get an idea for which version is the best if the game is cross platform.
    From the "XRated Smart Reviews" section of XBN# 5:

"Being a single format magazine, Xbox Nation finds itself in the difficult situation of critiquing games residing on the Xbox, while not blinding ourselves to the sphere of console gaming which surrounds it, either."

Originally posted by JMET
    Regardless if everyone feels that its the best mag around these days ill check it out, perhaps ill like it..
    Honestly, XBN is the closest to Gamefan I've ever seen a gaming magazine come. These guys ( and girl ) actually PLAY VIDEO GAMES and don't necessarily tow the party line when it comes to big stories or what's on the cover. I told my wife the other day that not only is XBN my favorite gaming mag, it very well may be my favorite mag, period.

3. Well I figured out some ish about Ziff's new mag:

a) if you subscribe you get 10% off all pre-owns in EB
    b) It seems as though this mag reeks of a Funco/Game Informer-esque collabo
    c) comes in January
    d) there's a major push to sell subs for this...
    oy

4. Originally posted by Briscobold
    Well I figured out some ish about Ziff's new mag:

c) comes in January
    oy
    Yay is us...

5. Originally posted by Briscobold
    Well I figured out some ish about Ziff's new mag:

c) comes in January
    oy

If it's anything like the old frequent buyers card from EB, I'll pass. I bought one about 5 years ago and it costed $29. What a waste of cash that was.

Originally posted by JMET

In some magazines in the past they would be biased and make childish fanboy remarks towards the competitors of the console they are based around.

Another reason is I then feel the need to purchase 2-3 seperate magazines to cover each system.

Or subscribe; as I never buy them at the stores due to the extreme prices they tend to run because they generally come with demo cd/dvd's.

These are all valid points, but look at it this way. Magazines like this and the now gone ODCM have great behind the scene stories on games in developement or developer interviews. To me those kind of stories are worth the 1 console mediem.

On a side note, I can honestly say that the official Playstation magazine is'nt quite as good a read, when it comes to behind the scenes reading or the reviews either. The only thing it has going for it, is the demo disk.

6. I'll probably get a subscription to this puppy just for the `10% EB discount. I buy tons of shit there a year, and this will hack off quite a chunk of my gaming spending.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. 10% off on Used games at Eb sounds nice, tack on a magazine just adds to the deal. Count me in I guess. SOunds like a crappy magazine though.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

8. Originally posted by Ashen Victor
    incite was bad, don't know if i'd say worst than gamepro, but it was bad. and the only thing it really had going for it was the first issue cover price of $2. and that didn't last either. i feel pretty dirty for actually buying it.
    Incite is the worst magazine I have ever read. If I were to start mentioning everything that was bad about it, undoubtedly TNL would have to go under because it would eat up all of their server space. But I've never read a worse magazine, and I never will.

9. Incite was total garbage, but the issue with Kid Rock playin some games had me rolling. His eyes were glazed, like he was stoned and after playing the game, he was qouted " I need to get stoned" Funny stuff!