Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best PC Review Websites

1. That list will also help me out. When I buy a new motherboard +processor soon I won't have to worry about requirements any longer. Up until now I've been using ign pc and pcgameworld.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Yoshi, I'm curious as to which PC games you have played/enjoyed on your new PC.

Neo, the new PC isn't here yet, so I've been grabbing up and playing all the stuff that my old PC can run. So Far I've gotten Half-Life Platinum Collection (almost finished the GotY HL), Undying (very briefly tried so far), System Shock 2 (also briefly tried), Alien versus Predator Gold (had before and reacquired), Freedom Force (haven't installed yet), and Alice (haven't opened). I am trying to find the GotY Deus Ex cheap new somewhere as well.

Ah, I see. It seems like you're bombarded with lots of great $10 games.

Originally posted by NeoZeedeater
    Ah, I see. It seems like you're bombarded with lots of great $10 games.
    You got it. That should give you an idea of just how long it's been since I got a new PC.

6. Originally posted by Yoshi
    I am trying to find the GotY Deus Ex cheap new somewhere as well.
    Deus Ex was soooooooooooooo good. That's the only game I've ever thought of doing a mod for, it was just so addictive.

7. I've been playing more PC games recently - I tend to actually play the PC games that I buy far more than I ever play console games, which is nice.

Anyways, I picked up Freedom Force, and the game was positively fantastic. The game's a strategy-RPG based around Silver Age Marvel-style Superhero comics. Great stuff. It's pretty easy to create custom heroes that make all of the combats too easy (by accident, wasn't trying to min-max the system): give a character good speed and a melee attack that does max damage and you'll win every combat in the game fairly easily. Nonetheless, the game was still completely engaging, and you'll be able to spend a good amount of time just toying around with the versatile custom hero creator. Absolutely recommended to anyone who likes comic books.

After I finished that, I bought Black & White, and forgot to check to see whether it ran on XP or not. It doesn't. The Black & White expansion, Creature Isle, says that it supports XP - so I may buy that, just to get a bit of value out of my initial purchase.

Picked up Soldier of Fortune 2 a few days ago, and I'm not particularly happy with it, on any level. The AI is fairly piss poor, in general - if you're out of the detection range of a sniper, you can shoot him in the ankle 3 or 4 times with 7.62mm and he won't do a thing. Once one of the terrorists detects you, their aim is near-perfect, whether you're standing out in the open or lying prone in 3 foot high grass.

Perhaps more aggravating is the game's tendency to fill its levels awith triggered spawns: a few terrorists popping up (out of sight) after opening a door or stepping over some threshhold. I don't think triggered spawns would irritate quite as much if Soldier of Fortune 2 was strictly an arcade shooter, one that emphasized melee/up-close deathmatch style combat. On the hardest difficulty, every enemy is extremely threatening at fairly long ranges, which necessitates attacking deliberately, methodically. It's difficult to do that when the terrorists appear out of nowhere (this also breaks the 'realistic' atmosphere of the game). So, you're forced into a very obtuse sort of trial-and-error gameplay. The gore gets tiresome fairly quickly (it's hard to think of it as a concession to realism when hardly anything else in the game is realistic). Most of the weapons lack the visceral 'oomph' you'd expect from a game like this. The multiplayer is a bit like Counterstrike fused slightly with Quake 3...nothing exciting. Anyways, a waste of money.