Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1222242526

Thread: Hands on the new GBA

1. Originally posted by burgundy
    My thoughts exactly. Dunno about five inches, but it's way too long. It should be as flush as possible to the unit surface.

[thumbnail]http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/hw018010557.JPG[/thumbnail]
    why is the end of the adapter, the part where you insert the headphones so long? the last time i checked, my plug for the ear/headphones wasnt that long.

actually, it doesnt look that long considering theres the plug to go into the GBA, the flexible cord, but i dont know about the end part.

if they shortened the cord a bit more and made the attachment a bit smaller and cut the end part by 50%-70% than it would be better

i think i know why its a bit big..so people who buy it, wont loose it if it was big. if it was small, people will replace it and buy another one. isnt that a good thing for nintendo? isnt that what they want in the first place? people to spend money on more stuff they already dont need?

2. IGN has posted thier hands-on impressions, here

They report that the battery is NOT changable.
    Interestingly, the Game Boy Advance SP system features a built-in rechargeable lithium battery that's not user-swappable. If something goes wrong with the battery, users will have to send their unit to Nintendo for a replacement. The battery door on the bottom of the unit is sealed with a tri-wing screw, which makes it difficult for the end-user to access.
    They also address the shoulder buttons, saying they look wierd but feel perfect for either knuckle use or finger tip use.

3. the unit really isnt sealed if you can access it with a tri-wing. a tri-win can be bought for $1-6 online. i have a feeling 3rd party will make a rechargable of their own. if not, im hoping a gamesite will open the compartment up so they can show us what type of lithium-ion battery is in it, whether its a custom battery or standard battery. if its standard lithium-ion battery, i might have to go out and buy a spare.

the light looks nice, bright, and evenly lit.

At the Las Vegas meeting, Nintendo representatives reiterated that the Game Boy Advance SP will definitely co-exist with the original Game Boy Advance system. Nintendo will continue to manufacture and sell the original GBA system for the forseeable future. There are currently no plans for a price drop on the Game Boy Advance unit.
    i dont think there will be a price drop anyways. considering both are the same hardware, just different design. and you're paying $30 more for a lithium-ion battery and a frontlight.

IGN also reported that at the CES convention, there is a solar powered GBA attachment for the GBA. no more use of batteries, ALL solar.

on a side note: TritonLabs has dropped the price of their Afterburner Light Kits from $35 to $25! 5 packs from $150 to $115 and 10 packs from $300 to $210

4. Interestingly, the Game Boy Advance SP system features a built-in rechargeable lithium battery that's not user-swappable. If something goes wrong with the battery, users will have to send their unit to Nintendo for a replacement.

That's what I was talking about.

If it's built-in and isn't user-swappable, then buying a spare is futile. I certainly hope this isn't true.

5. for those who are going to preorder it..

EB games as you know are taking preorders..but you need to put a minimum of $15 days PLUS a $5 deposit towards a preorder of a future release

as for GameStop, you need to put $25 down. thats all i know about GameStop.

6. I think I'll go used GBA and afterburner when I can get it for 50, rather than this.