Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great war movies...

1. Apocolypse Now - you get to see Brando's fat ass lurking around in the shadows.

I heard Hopper was on some serious crack while they were shooting that film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

2. Potemkin is the correct spelling... and honestly I don't think it is that great of movie... it's a masterpiece of editing... but that's about it IMO.

3. Kelly's Heroes - not exactly a serious war movie, but a Clint Eastwood movie with great supporting characters.

Memphis Belle - If you can get past the cocky young actors its a great movie.

Sahara - an old B&W movie where Humphrey Bogart and crew and only one tank proctect an oasis from the nazies.

Has anyone seen We Were Solidier's? I was wondering about that movie.

4. what about STRIPES. and the deer hunter, which could've been edited down to about 45 minutes. full metal jacket is probably my favorite war movie, it shows the entire progression of what a soldier goes through.

5. Casualties of War - Michael J Fox is the friggin man.

All-star cast, great Vietnam war movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

6. I love Ridley Scott, but I thought Black Hawk Down was horrid.

Casualties of War (showing "the other side" of war)
    Full Metal Jacket
    Saving Private Ryan (most realistic war scenes, IMO)
    Platoon (of course)

We Were Soldiers wasn't on the same level. I liked Kelly's Heroes, but it's not in the same vein as the above. I missed The Longest Day, but I will check it out now. =)

I think In Country was a decent look at life after war, as well.

7. I would like to add the HBO series Band of Brothers. It is VERY high quality, a lot like a really long saving private ryan. Add a long documentary & interviews with the people that are depicted in the series and you get a 6 disc dvd set that is totaly worth the cash.

JM

8. Enemy at the Gates.

Great movie I thought. Highly underrated.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

9. That HBO series Band of Brothers is good.
    o_O