Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: REZ __ Dreamcast and PS2

1. Omni, you might want to try finding a copy of the demo of Rez in OPM. It's better than nothing.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

2. Originally posted by Sidez
    What's this love for VGA? Give me CRT and RGB anyday. Have you got a huge monitor?
    Who needs a monitor when new HDTVs can take VGA signals in? I get 480p out of my DC on my Zenith HDTV and it looks superb -- I will be getting Rez for DC eventhough I own the PS2 version just to experience it through VGA...

That being said -- do monitors give you better gaming picture than even HDTVs? This is my problem -- anything below next generation looks pretty ass -- like even the Saturn through s-vid looks terrible for 2-D games because of all the errors it brings out in the graphics -- like little dancing dots here and there -- a very strange effect I notice on older systems and the Genesis just looks horrendous -- I imagine it will even look poor through s-vid -- I like HDTV but it really brings out the flaws...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

3. "do monitors give you better gaming picture than even HDTVs?"

If the HDTV can take in RGB, it's probably absolutely minimally better, if better at all. But if you're using component the image is getting converted to the color difference standard, and converted back to RGB in your TV before display, and that does things to the image, of course. I have seen a DC VGA box running through a component converter on an HDTV, so that it ran progressively and everything, and it looked as close to a monitor as you could possibly get without it being one, the component standard is quite good at avoiding damaging the picture, especially compared to composite.

However, I think what your're looking for is kind of the opposite of a "perfect" display. 2D and older consoles will look just as bad, if not worse on a VGA monitor. While the VGA is superior for high resolutions, it can be quite ugly for lower resolutions. Similar to how 2D fighters on VGA boxes look weird, I've tried older consoles on a monitor and the image flaws really stick out. Like your HDTV bringing out the flaws, a VGA will only do the same unfortunately.

4. Originally posted by ssbomberman
    This is my problem -- anything below next generation looks pretty ass -- like even the Saturn through s-vid looks terrible for 2-D games because of all the errors it brings out in the graphics -- like little dancing dots here and there -- a very strange effect I notice on older systems and the Genesis just looks horrendous -- I imagine it will even look poor through s-vid -- I like HDTV but it really brings out the flaws...
    Yeah, dot crawl is a pain in the arse. Dot crawl compounded by an HDTV's line doubler is a million times worse. I would never use an HDTV or VGA monitor on hardware that puts out a 15 hz (low res) sync rate. The line doubling just does too much damage to the picture in general, and if you're not running RGB it throws the video artifacts in your face. If you are running RGB, then line doubling throws razor sharp pixel edges in your face. It is always good to keep a non-HDTV around for 64 bit and earlier era games. Again, this is why I love my WG monitor so much. It's like HD TV and old school TV in 1 with it's multi sync rates, and it's all pure RGB inputs.

Originally posted by TheGooch
    Christ Almighty, I just saw your response now. Thanks for the insight, Chibi. I am not at all familiar with the specifics regarding the EGA/CGA connector. Looks like I have some serious research to do here, but I'm still interested in picking one of these up. 600 bones isn't a bad deal at all.
    A reply that's a couple months late to a reply that was itself a couple months late. Beautiful. And I still recommend looking into that monitor. After owning mine all this time, the hassles are still greatly outweighed by the picture quality and versitility.