Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REZ __ Dreamcast and PS2

1. REZ __ Dreamcast and PS2

It's been exactly three months since I last played REZ (Dreamcast JPN version), so I figured it was about time to take it out again. This time, I played Area One on both the Dreamcast and PS2 (REZ is on the new OPM PS2 demo). Here's what I can conclude:

Dreamcast version:
    - Much sharper graphics on the background, enemies, bosses, opening, and in-game text
    - Better digital control

PS2 version:
    - Better rumble/vibration
    - Silky-smooth framerate
    - Better analog control

So I guess there is no definitive version of REZ...

How do you guys think the different versions stack up against each other ??
    I really like the how smooth the PS2 version feels, but the Dreamcast version's graphics were way sharper. No jaggies or shimmer on the Dreamcast version.
    If you own both versions, which one do you play more ??

Also, I'm sure its been mentioned before, but can the transvibrator be used with the US PS2 version of REZ ??

- Kabuki

Gamespot confirmed (in the review if I'm not mistaken) that the Trancevibrator does work on a US PS2 and (of course) the US version of the game.

3. The Trance Vibrator alone makes the PS2 version the definitive version. RGB SCART sorts out the jaggy problem for me, but then i'm the sort of person who can't make out the jaggys in Tekken Tag and the VF4 jaggys are only seen by me if I think about them. Using RGB rather than composite significantly improves things but just concentrating on the game makes them vanish for me. JSRF also has aliasing if you stare at the screen

Dreamcast version:
    - Better digital control

Why would you want to use the d-pad??

4. I don't know about the transvibrator, but VGA makes it for me. It's not just the artifact-free picture, it's the removal of interlacing. Even RGB is interlaced, so I'll take my DC VGA display any day!

5. I think the DC version is much better, control-wise and visual-wise.

My PS2 version has chuggy framerate and slowdown in places(esp. Area 5 and Lost Area) that are handled without a stutter on the DC.

I dislike the transvibrator intensely - it distracts from the game. I don't even use a jump pack on the DC - the way I hold the controller makes my wedding ring vibrate loudly and uncomfortably.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

6. Originally posted by BioMechanic
    My PS2 version has chuggy framerate and slowdown in places(esp. Area 5 and Lost Area) that are handled without a stutter on the DC.

I dislike the transvibrator intensely - it distracts from the game. I don't even use a jump pack on the DC - the way I hold the controller makes my wedding ring vibrate loudly and uncomfortably.
    Interesting that the framerate chugs in parts (Area One was really smooth on PS2).

I hear ya about the clanking ring thing !! 'Cept mine's not a wedding ring.

Thanks for the varies responses guys. Keep them coming !!
    - Kabuki

7. "My PS2 version has chuggy framerate and slowdown in places(esp. Area 5 and Lost Area) that are handled without a stutter on the DC. "

I don't mean to be rude but I think you've got the 2 versions muddled up here... no slowdown on mine whilst the DC version really chugs on Area 5. I love the Trance Vibrator but I make sure not to put it against my chest after a meal; I was violently sick after that

What's this love for VGA? Give me CRT and RGB anyday. Have you got a huge monitor?

8. No harm done, Sidez, but I've got em straight.

The first thing I did when I got the US PS2 version was play them on identical TVs, side-by-side, with a friend.

Every time, my PS2 version suffers a framerate drop in heavily populated areas, while I've yet to see noticeable slowdown on my DC rev.

Seems to go against what most people have been saying, but there it is. I prefer the DC version, but play the PS2 one because I use the DC-X for imports, and I don't want to put unneccesary wear on the DC lens.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

9. Thanks Kabuki for the comparsions. As for the DC version "chugging", there's about 40 second of slowdown for a 40 minute game.

Both games accomplish their artistic goal and are FUN, no need to downplay one for the other. *-neo

10. Actually the reason the DC version may feel slow is it runs at 30FPS (yup, I admit it) while the PS2 version runs at 60.

A gent whose opinion I trust on IGN also said the PS2 version drops in framerate, haven't had a chance to play it long myself (area 1 was it) *-neo