Thread: Blood: The Last Vampire

1. Blood: The Last Vampire

Forget that it's short, has little in the way of plot, and that none of the characters are fleshed out at all; this is a beautiful, creepy, atmospheric, intense horror anime. Saya is a great character design, the setting is interesting, and I love the way they handled language (Japanese people speak Japanese with subtitles, Americans speak English). The whole thing is haunting and very well made, with the limted CG (planes, etc.) mixed in perfectly. This had a limited theater run in the U.S., and I'm pissed that I missed it. Anyone else have the DVD, or catch it in theaters?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I liked it, but was like 'WTF?' because it was so short. But it was good while it lasted.

3. Hmm, Found it pretty boring. The style and animation was very well done, but the story was lacking, and the action scenes were pretty boring.

Didnt find it neither creepy, nor scary. Watched it, and sold off the dvd. Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, did Vampire Anime much better.

4. Originally posted by IkariShinji
    I liked it, but was like 'WTF?' because it was so short. But it was good while it lasted.
    I had the same exact reaction...it's one of those movies that are over before you know it. I was like, "That's IT?!?".

Originally posted by Despair
    Hmm, Found it pretty boring. The style and animation was very well done, but the story was lacking, and the action scenes were pretty boring.

Didnt find it neither creepy, nor scary. Watched it, and sold off the dvd. Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, did Vampire Anime much better.
    I can understand where you're coming from- it can be a tad slow paced. Is the reason you didn't like it is because they were trying to be more realistic in their presentation than the average anime- Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust are much more 'flashy' and over-the-top, after all...

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Didn't like the ending very much, and they could do so much more with a sequel.

That said, I loved the rest of it.

6. i loved everything about it. at least a mighty percentage of it.

7. Originally posted by MechDeus
    Didn't like the ending very much, and they could do so much more with a sequel.
    Blood the Last Vampire 2002 manga continues the story - http://www.tokidokijournal.com/issues/issue21/blood.htm

First watch I didn't like it, second watch I began to appreciate it more. Good for what is there, except there really isn't a lot there.
    - Kabuki

8. Originally posted by Dolemite
    I had the same exact reaction...it's one of those movies that are over before you know it. I was like, "That's IT?!?".

I can understand where you're coming from- it can be a tad slow paced. Is the reason you didn't like it is because they were trying to be more realistic in their presentation than the average anime- Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust are much more 'flashy' and over-the-top, after all...
    No, I actually liked its realistic tone. I usually prefer that in Anime, to more outrageous or silly ones. As for Action, even though it had several action sequences, none of them was really exciting. Vampire attacks her, she attacks with the sword, BAM its dead. It slow again for another 10 minutes, and not much character interraction between those moments.

I liked the art style, combining hand drawn and cgi animation, worked out very well, but I wish it had more substance and better action.

9. Originally posted by kabuki
    Blood the Last Vampire 2002 manga continues the story - http://www.tokidokijournal.com/issues/issue21/blood.htm
    I just picked up the manga the other day. It's really good!
    First watch I didn't like it, second watch I began to appreciate it more. Good for what is there, except there really isn't a lot there.
    - Kabuki
    I have the same exact reaction the first time I saw it- I was so shocked by the abrupt ending that it turned me off to it. But upon the second viewing, I already knew what I was getting into, thus I was able to appreciate it much more.