Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EVA movies pushed again... ?

1. I have terrible, grainy, poor sounding fansub copies of both movies that I got a few years back.
    I've been waiting for the US DVD releases of these things for ages now. I want it crisp looking and dubbed in English. I'm so glad Manga got the original US voice cast for the movies. I've only watched the series dubbed, so I have to see the movies like that too ^_^
    - Kabuki

2. It really doesnt make sense for them keep delaying these titles for soo long.

As for buying HK dvds, if you want to wait long time for the titles either not even announced, or the ones that annouced, but have no set dates, which can mean anything, go ahead. I prefer to get HK version now, and if I like the series, or the movie, I'm definately getting US official release, otherwise, it saves me money in the long run.

3. Yesterday my friend bring the series he buy in that site (Berserk and Yu Yu Ovas) and they look to be official, I mean the package look so damn good, even have the trade mark and the all right reserved *insert company here* shit printed

4. I'm pretty sure his Yu Yu Hakushu is pirated, and I know for a fact that his Berserk is. The first Berserk DVD is slated to be released on 5/28.

5. Originally posted by Saint of Killers
    I'm pretty sure his Yu Yu Hakushu is pirated, and I know for a fact that his Berserk is. The first Berserk DVD is slated to be released on 5/28.
    well they make a pretty good job with the DVD and cases, they look so damn good that i don't mind they are pirate copies

6. I'm not really sure if those box sets are pirated. Its really in the grey area, when dealing with some of HK business.

7. Originally posted by Despair
    I'm not really sure if those box sets are pirated. Its really in the grey area, when dealing with some of HK business.
    Heh. Most every anime DVD produced in HK is pirated. There are no legit HK anime companies to speak of -- or if there are, they're forced to region code their stuff to 3. Most any new R0 release you see is probably pirate, since the Japanese licensors wised up and made that a requirement in the license contracts. Yes, they may have great packaging, and maybe the video and subs look great, but they are pirated material.

The only legit asian anime comapny I know of outside Japan is Odex in Singapore. Their stuff is legit, however the new titles are R3 only.

But you're right, delaying titles makes little sense -- unless you look at the distribution logistics of each company individually. Example:
    - ADV can handle tons of titles at once. They have numerous groups working in tandem to shove discs out the door. Ergo, they have the most volume of releases.
    - Pioneer and Bandai can't handle as many titles, but they still do a respectable amount.
    - Manga can't handle much of anything at the moment. Internal troubles (money problems, probably low staff and not many people who know what they're doing) keep them from putting out anything except once in a blue moon. Bad PR doesn't help this -- the fans stay away from Manga's releases because they're usually crappy, which means less income.
    If ADV had the movies, they would have put them out by now. If Pioneer had them, we would have a very nice boxset. However, Manga has them. Thus we suffer so.

Basically, my opinion is to avoid pirate stuff except in the case of complete incompetence and an inability to play/understand the Japanese R2 discs. I own a pirate Eva movie boxset and I intend to purchase the legit release whenever Manga can manage to get it out the door. However, I cannot approve of buying Card Captor Sakura boxsets when Pioneer's doing an excellent job of releasing it here in uncut form. The same can be said for Bebop, which has a relatively unexpensive (and limited collector's edition too) box that even includes a soundtrack and a space for the Bebop movie. Yu Yu Hakusho is now getting a decent release here from FUNi, and Beserk is getting a release soon. Hell, Media Blasters (Beserk's release company) said they would consider financing a SECOND SEASON of Beserk if sales were good enough!

True, R1 releases usually take longer, but you usually don't get horrible English and crappy video like you might with a pirate edition. If you can't wait, I advise buying the R2. Can't play it? Well, most of us here have PS2s. There are 2 ways to play them on the PS2: Gameshark 2 v2 and DVD Region X. GS2 v2 includes DVD Region X, but it can be bought stand-alone. It's been said to work great -- the PS2 DVD player is another matter though. ^_^

Ok, rant mode off... :jest: