Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on their rights?

1. Your thoughts on their rights?

Va.

Local Atty. Gen. Jerry W. Killgore is proposing a bill that will limit the issuance of drivers licenses to legal immigrants, as a terrorism counter measure. Killgore, who has also been an outspoken proponent to bills that would deny education to the US born children of illegal immigrants, has cited the fact that seven of the nineteen 9-11 hijackers were in possession of fake Va. Drivers licenses’ as justification for this measure. Many of the local Hispanic community are outraged at this news, as many of them rely on the surrounding area farms for work, some drive as far as two hours to get to work. Many others are concerned that should such a bill pass that it will limit other liberties that have been afforded them as legal citizens thus far, the most prevalent being their right to a bank account which cannot be had without a photo ID.

I did my best to be impartial and deliver only the facts as I read them. What are your thoughts on their rights here?

2. Clarify this please.

Is he trying to prevent legal immigrants from obtaining licenses? If so, then he's a jackass and needs to be removed from office. They're legal, they have a green card. Screw him and this pro-"native" rhetoric. We're all immigrants, even the supposed "natives".

The illegals are what we need to be concerned about. Example: Texas. The borders are way too open here. Why aren't we cracking down on illegal immigration? Sorry if it seems cruel of me to not like people just skirting the INS and coming over, but there's only so much abuse the system can handle before it starts collapsing.

As for denying education to US born children of immigrants, I believe he needs to check his copy of the Constitution. It seems to be defective. Those kids are legal citizens of the US if they're born here, I believe. To deny a legal citizen public education is cruel and unusual punishment -- and the kid didn't even do anything to deserve it.

This guy comes across as a first rate jackanapes.

3. Originally posted by Lhadatt
    Clarify this please.

Is he trying to prevent legal immigrants from obtaining licenses?
    Yup Legal

Originally posted by Lhadatt
    The illegals are what we need to be concerned about
    There is also a measure that would deny licenses to illegal immigrants, but being that they're illegal, that makes little sense.

Originally posted by Lhadatt
    As for denying education to US born children of immigrants, I believe he needs to check his copy of the Constitution. It seems to be defective. Those kids are legal citizens of the US if they're born here, I believe. To deny a legal citizen public education is cruel and unusual punishment -- and the kid didn't even do anything to deserve it.
    Ca. tried a similar measure awhile back and it was voted on by the people, but I'm not sure what came of it.

Edit: Correction to what I said earlier, Killgore proposes to end all in state college admissions to children of illegal immigrants.

4. Well, if he's trying to deny stuff to legal immigrants, he can rot in hell. As for the college thing, that's even worse. Let's just close off all methods of the country diversifying while we're at it.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Re: Your thoughts on their rights?

Originally posted by ShineAqua
    Killgore...has cited the fact that seven of the nineteen 9-11 hijackers were in possession of fake Va. Drivers licenses’ as justification for this measure.
    How exactly would passing this law keep a criminal from carrying a fake drivers license? There's logic for ya.

--Scourge .

6. Are you sure that this Kilgore guy is talking about applying the law to legal immigrants?

Illegal Aliens, Kilgore

This one just mentions illegal aliens, too

It seems like he's just trying to close some of the loopholes that allow illegal aliens to use state/federal resources.

So ShineAqua, how again were you being impartial by misstating "facts?" Or are the sources wrong?

--Scourge .

8. Re: Re: Your thoughts on their rights?

Originally posted by Scourge
    How exactly would passing this law keep a criminal from carrying a fake drivers license? There's logic for ya.

--Scourge .
    I believe the hijackers had authentic licenses based on fake documents.

Anyway, if Virginia is so fucking concerned about misissued licenses, they should not have halved the state's DMV staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

Well, that would make more sense, but that's not what ShineAqua said.

--Scourge .

10. Local paper reported that facts to which I then paraphrased, and it did say limiting licenses to legals. Don't forget that some sources print with a bias. Like that first article that Stone linked, it was skewed in Kilgore’s’ favor conveniently forgetting to mention that the bill also includes a provision to limit access to legal immigrants that was previously afforded them.

I will admit that there is a problem in this country when it comes to illegal immigrants, but punishing those who went through the difficult task of naturalization for that acts of a few zealots is preposterous and defeats the very notion of democracy. Also any claims that illegals take jobs is doubly preposterous, because most of the farm work is tough, repetitive, and taxing. Few American citizens are willing to do the work. Quite frankly there are enough jobs out there to employ about ¾ of the unemployed, but many feel that those jobs are beneath them, like farm work. If an immigrant, legal or not, is taking work on a farm then I say let him be. No one else wants to do it.