Thread: Whisper Of The Heart

Whisper Of The Heart

I've had the, um, "unofficial" Studio Ghibli dvd boxset for a long time now, but never got around to watching everthing. A couple of days ago I popped in Whisper Of The Heart and damn, is this thing GREAT!!!! It isn't directed by Hiyao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata, but is as good as their many of their works! There is a segment of the film that is directed by Miyazaki, but it's only 2 or 3 minutes long.

Here's a link to some info in case you're interested. This isn't quite the magical fare that many of Ghibli's films are; it's a love story set in junior high. But it's got a very Kiki's Delivery Service feel to it. The animation is top notch as expected and it's really quite a beautiful little movie. It quickly moved up the latter of my favorite Ghibli films, settling in the top 3.

Anybody else have any thoughts on Whisper Of The Heart?

--Scourge .

2. Yup. I'd say it's #4 on my favorite Ghibli movie list (Nausicaa, Totoro, Only Yesterday and then Whisper).

It has a mini-sequel, actually. The cat figurine in the movie stars in The Cat Returns -- there's a thread about it here.

3. Uh-oh

i have the 6 dvd bootleg box, buying all the official dvds as they come out though.. but whisper of the heart is really good, i can't wait for a high quality subtitle set.