Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What early '80's games would you like to see sequels to?

What early '80's games would you like to see sequels to?

There's always plenty of talk about resurrecting late '80's and '90's franchises but I think there's a wealth of untapped potential in sequelizing the earlier eras. Most early '80's sequels have been shitty cash-ins(like Frogger)but when games are treated right(like Gridrunner)modern versions can be excellent.

What early '80's games do you most want to see sequels to? A few of mine are:

Archon.

Freefall's Action/Strategy masterpiece still stands as best game of the early '80's for me. It already has a handful of sequels but they strayed too far from the original formula. Updating it with modern visuals and online play would be excellent. And anyone who hasn't played should definitely check it out.

Discs of TRON.

With TRON 2.0 coming, I'm sort of getting my wish but I would also like to see this game rereleased in arcade-perfect form and have a similar sequel. Something in the vein of TRON: Deadly Discs would nice too. I find it interesting that these games stand the test of time better than the movie does.

Donkey Kong 3.

Nintendo nicely continued the tradition of platform games after DK 1 and 2 but I would like to a trip back to the garden.

Was Archon on the NES?

Yes, Archon was ported to the NES. It was graphically enhanced over the original but it wasn't quite as fun to play.

4. Bump and Jump- I've always loved that game.
    Moon Patrol- Ditto
    Congo Bongo- It was like isometric Donkey Kong
    Jungle King- I think an update to this would kick ass.

5. Archon owns all. I loved that game on the Commmodore 64. Another game from that era I'd love to see a sequel to is G.I. Joe. It was one of the earliest hard-to-head combat games ever made.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. The Konami games- Gyruss, Juno First, and the other 1983 shooter. Damn, I cant remember the name. All I can remember is that it's on the Konami Arcade Classics disc.

Sequels to Midways(?) games, Sinistar, Joust. Imagine the latter with online play.

And a sequel to Dig Dug!

Time Pilot is probably the Konami shooter you're thinking of.

Sinistar and Joust are Williams games but Midway and Williams are the two easiest companies to mix up. The semi-recent Sinistar sequel wasn't very good unfortunately.

8. I always thought they were the same company. Did they merge during the early 90's?

Yeah, they did merge.

10. Midway is done now correct, I remember reading they are closing shop.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!