Thread: Any Marx brothers fans here?

1. Any Marx brothers fans here?

Me and a friend were watching Duck Soup the other day and I'm amazed that the movie's just as funny on the fourth viewing and just as funny after 75 years. Absolutely brilliant stuff. If you haven't seen any of their movies, I suggest watching Duck Soup, Horse Feathers, Animal Crackers and, if you have time, A Night at the Opera and Monkey Business. None of them are particuarily long (usually barely over an hour) but the VHS can get hard to find (the DVDs are impossible), so either download them or request them from the library. Unregrettable.

And now time for some quotes!

From Duck Soup:
    Rufus T. Firefly: Not that I care, but where is your husband?
    Mrs. Teasdale: Why, he's dead.
    Rufus T. Firefly: I bet he's just using that as an excuse.
    Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.
    Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.
    Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.
    Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder! ...Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

From Horse Feathers:
    Baravelli: You gotta brother?
    Mullen: No.
    Baravelli: You gotta sister?
    Mullen: Yeah.
    Baravelli: Well-a, you sister, she's a very sick man, you better come with us.
    Mullen: Yeah? What happened to her?
    Baravelli: She hadda accident in her automobile.
    McCarthy: Ah, she has no automobile.
    Baravelli: Well-a, maybe she's-a fall off-a horse. I don't-a look very close. Come on, we take you in our car.
    Mullen: You will, eh? Well, I have no sister.
    Baravelli: That's all right. We no gotta car. Come on.

And the always classic line from Animal Crackers:
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

2. Ah, yes. I love the Marx Bros. Duck Soup and Animal Crackers are 2 of my faves, but Night at the Opera owns:

Fiorello: What am I supposed to say?
    Otis B. Driftwood: Tell them you're not here.
    Fiorello: I don't think they'll believe me.
    Otis B. Driftwood: Start talking. They'll believe you.

Otis B. Driftwood: I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this.

The stateroom scene is an all time classic.

3. I've seen Duck Soup twice and Night at the Opera once. You can rent them from Netflix if they're hard to find (either AMC or TCM or both shows them too). Funny stuff. One bit that sticks out in my mind (besides the classic mirror scene) is at the end of Soup when Groucho gets a vase stuck on his head and the other guys just paint his face on it, always gets a laugh from me.
    pwned by Ivan

4. I have to admit that I like A Night at the Opera the least. The guy that replaces Zeppo is like a unequal bastard child of Zeppo and James Stewart, and with zero charm.

Have any of you seen A Day at the Races? It's the only film out of the 'main' six I haven't seen yet.