Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman: The Animated Series

1. Batman: The Animated Series

No, I'm talking about the watered down version that they show now. I'm talking about the original version that aired back in the mid/early 90's. Great storylines, great artwork, and superb production value made it my favorite American(although it was probably drawn and inked in Korea) animated series.

Anybody want to start?

Oh yea, does anybody know if the original series will ever make it on to DVD?
    ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA

2. I sure do hope so...it was dark enough as it was, I can't imagine if they actually took that to the next level. I remember there being a movie or two, anyone remember what they were?

3. Re: Batman: The Animated Series

Excellent show, easily one of my favorite TV shows of all time. BTW, every Batman show ever made since 1990 was fucking fantastic, IMO. It's all about the storylines, but I do feel the original had the best look and feel, I mean come on, it was drawn on black paper!

Also, since I've pretty much grew up watching this show, I've spent the last 13 years hearing Kevin Conroy do the voice of Batman, and as far as I am concerned he IS Batman, which is why I'm a little worried about the new Batman game coming out (dark tommorrow).

Anyway, start naming some of your favorite episodes.

The first one that comes to mind is "Over the Edge", that appeared in the last Batman series, before Beyond. It was a What If story in which Batgirl is murdered by the Scarecrow. Here is a synopsis:
    Scenes of surprise and horror build on each other in quick succession. It opens with an astonishing set piece: Gordon and a battery of armored policemen storming the Batcave, calling the fleeing Wayne by name, shooting to kill. (And special, enthusiastic praise of the direction: The smooth, clean movements, the pounding sound effects and score, the razor cutting from shot to shot make this sequence a joy to watch.) In flashback we see the brutal death of Barbara Gordon as she plummets from a ledge and shatters the windshield of the police cruiser in which her father rides; we hear the agony in Gordon's voice as he implicitly accuses Batman of murder. Later, a severe, almost surreal urban funeral gives over to a rooftop fight between Batman and Bane (recruited by the Commissioner as an assassin) and ends with Gordon and Wayne plummeting, like Batgirl, over the edge.
    Read the rest here: http://anbat.toonzone.net/tnba/ind/overedge.html

And be sure to check out the rest of this site: http://anbat.toonzone.net/

4. Mask of the Phantasm was a good Batman flick. I loved the tv show as a kid, I seen some episodes here and there recently and from what I've seen the show really stunk once Robin showed up. The shows theme music was great, and so was the voice acting and presentation. The first 5 episodes are on dvd-
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
    pwned by Ivan

5. Originally posted by TreizePlus
    I sure do hope so...it was dark enough as it was, I can't imagine if they actually took that to the next level. I remember there being a movie or two, anyone remember what they were?
    Mask of the Phantasm - Arguably one of the best American made animated movies of all time.

Subzero - Pretty average film about Mr.Freeze.

World's Finest: Batman and Superman team up in Metropolis, this one has some excellent moments between Batman and Superman, antagonizing each other.

Return of the Joker: This was a Batman Beyond movie, which caused quite a stir when the creators were forced to edit the film at last minute, completely reworking the Joker's the demise.In the real version, Tim shoots the Joker with a gun and laughs manically as the Joker Dies, his last words were "That's not funny...", but soon Tim's tears turn into tear. All in all it was pretty disturbing stuff. But in the other version Tim pushes the joker into some water, which is struck buy wires, electrocuting the joker. Bleh. Both versions has it's own fair share of fans and detractors.

6. World's Finest was cool. Though I hated the look of the "updated" Batman(see Poison Ivy new vs. Old. . .or ANY OTHER CHARACTERS), they put enough money into that one to make up for it with the animation. Cool as hell when Batman flung SuperMan over his shoulder.

Mask of the phantasm was good, and Sub Zero was dissapointing. =\

I absolutely love the original series on FOX. Favorite episode is probably the Grey Ghost. That theme he had was beautiful and I'm obligated to like things more when they attach a good theme song to the characters. I loved the whole "lost in the 40's" feel they gave to Gotham. At some times I wasn't sure when the series actually took place, though it was clearly modern. They had the mafia bosses and such(which were worked out of the series for the WB)

sighs*

*I really did, it wasn't internet fakies.

7. Originally posted by rezo
    Cool as hell when Batman flung SuperMan over his shoulder.
    Oh yeah, that was a great scene. Superman just has this "wtf?" look on his face, then he bum rushes Batman and says "I knew you were crazy, but not stupid."

And I also loved when Batman figured out Superman's secret identity, that's just quality stuff right there.

8. They do have some of these episodes on DVD. I saw them at target.

9. Originally posted by Regus
    Return of the Joker: This was a Batman Beyond movie, which caused quite a stir when the creators were forced to edit the film at last minute, completely reworking the Joker's the demise.In the real version, Tim shoots the Joker with a gun and laughs manically as the Joker Dies, his last words were "That's not funny...", but soon Tim's tears turn into tear. All in all it was pretty disturbing stuff. But in the other version Tim pushes the joker into some water, which is struck buy wires, electrocuting the joker. Bleh. Both versions has it's own fair share of fans and detractors.
    Did they keep this in the DVD version if there is a DVD? I heard great stuff about this movie.

10. There are two different versions of the dvd out there, the first one is the cut version, while the uncut one looks identical to the cut version, except for a little bar at the top that says "Uncut version!" or something like that.